• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ transmission rebuild

bankstre93

NAXJA Forum User
Tranny went out in my 97 GC ZJ this morning. Rebuild kit is on its way ($180) but I’ve got no clue what I’m doing. It’ll be one hell of a hands-on lesson I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I can warn you about: There is a seal deep inside which has to do with the 2-3 shift. The factory seal is slightly too small. The kit you will receive will come with both the factory size seal and the new, thicker seal. You probably want the thicker seal.

My '97 ZJ supposedly has a rebuilt transmission. However, it won't shift into third until I get up to 45 or 50mph. Once it gets well warmed up it behaves, but for the first 20 minutes or so it is a pain. Theory is that when the transmission was rebuilt they matched the seal to the one they removed rather than installing the thicker seal. Replacing that seal is full teardown.

Back