• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's Go To The Rubicon

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of us were dreaming around the campfire at RF about going to the Rubicon Trail. Well, it looks like we might do more than dream about it. We're starting to talk about dates in 2022.

Hopefully this thread will be a place to talk about details, list out what upgrades our Jeeps need, what gear and spare parts we'll have to take, and how in the heck we're gonna handle the 5,000 mile round trip! Haha.

So stay tuned .... and more importantly, JOIN US!

Dates
Currently we are looking at early June of 2022. But that could change. Ideally we'd run the trail mid-week.

Jeep Shipping Info
Based on three quotes I received for open car carrier transport, it's about $2,800 on average for door to door round trip shipment of a Jeep to Reno. It takes 6-8 days each way, so ship early. Also, many hotels and even Jeep dealerships will take delivery of the Jeep if you haven't yet arrived on the plane. Building in a few days of buffer seems to be a really good idea.

Can I Come?
Absolutely!! Just bring a Jeep that is very well maintained and moderately capable. And more importantly, bring a good attitude and desire to have FUN.

Last edited:
If you are short on vacation time have them shipped by rail to a freight forwarder/depot somewhere near Lake Tahoe airport. A container freight shipping firm near you should be able to locate a rail freight yard that doesn't need long distance haulage by truck.

When shipping by container you can pack all your camping gear and spares inside, it will be secure cargo but you should still get freight insurance. A 40ft container is only a little bit more than a 20ft to rent, share the costs with a friend. I have seen Humvees loaded into containers so you should be able to get a pair of XJs on full widths and 40's into a single 40 foot container.

The ideal scenario is to fly in and out of Lake Tahoe (TVL), get a rental car/mini-van/bus to the freight yard to pick up your Jeeps. Going home is the reverse.

In the past I have done oneway rentals or just parked the rental in a secure car park for a week. Sometimes motels that I have done first day and last day accommodation at have been happy for me to park the rental car there all week (at my risk). Compare the costs and convenience between taxis, rentals and reliable public transport.

If you only have time to do the Rubicon but could come back in a few months for more, consider renting a local RV storage unit to park three Jeeps in (diagonally). I got an XJ, TJ and a JKU in my last RV rental garage. You could then do Dusy Ershim and Fordyce Creek.

Obviously, if your Jeep is your daily drive you will need to acquire a temporary vehicle for use when your Jeep is being shipped.

I have done Connecticut to Moab in five days but it's exhausting, I reckon it would take six days to Lake Tahoe without sharing the driving 500-800 miles per day.

A couple of us were dreaming around the campfire at RF about going to the Rubicon Trail. Well, it looks like we might do more than dream about it. We're starting to talk about dates in 2022.

Hopefully this thread will be a place to talk about details, list out what upgrades our Jeeps need, what gear and spare parts we'll have to take, and how in the heck we're gonna handle the 5,000 mile round trip! Haha.

So stay tuned .... and more importantly, JOIN US!
I'm so glad that conversation didn't die on the vine.
Agreement, the time for commitment and planning is now, not later.
Rich

Bring a very well maintained Jeep? Just put my invite in the shredder why don't you hahahaha

More than likely ill be towing my own out there, but a big thank you to those offering advice on other options!
As some know now, a Rubicon Adventure was going to be my present to myself for the big 50th.
But, 2020...and my junk is not yet finished.
That said, it very much will be by spring, we've cleared some other life stuff out and my focus is to get Back Out There!
And I can think of no better way to experience the Rubicon than with some of our great friends from the NAC also pretty much Forrest-Gumping our way thru it. Consider me and Carol a Go, all else be damned.
Rich

But Jordan i promise you if you bail at the last minute I will find you and tear those little alligators off your Izod polos and staple them to your nipples as a mark of shame.

Paying attention here...

Couple things. Logistically for those of us who'd be towing out, it's a point-to-point trail and the two ends are rather far apart (see attachment). Once you pop out the other side it's a beautiful but lengthy 2+ hr drive back to the start point. Also if you go the usual direction of the trail, you'll be passing through an ag inspection station on the way back to the trailer, not sure if those guys have any pull as far as enforcing equipment violations or whatnot but it's a 5 hour round trip on the highway between trailheads.

I mean...trail damage notwithstanding, I'd be willing to do the ride in my buggy, I did more miles than that on the highway at Moab...I just don't know if CA would feel the same way. :)

Of course - total duration of the trail at a leisurely pace is 2 days, maybe 3. Could always just get to the end and run it in reverse, camp at a different spot, etc.

And at the risk of scope creep - given that relatively short duration, it's worth noting that both the Hammers and Sand Hollow are a pretty easy 1-day drive away (6-8 hours), without adding significantly to the return trip time or distance. Likewise Moab, Grand Junction, CO, and the Ouray, CO area are another 6-8 hours from that, in the direction of home.

Just thinkin.

RegalTallClownanemonefish-small.gif

rubi.jpg

Last edited:
I'm probably going to tow. It's still cheaper than shipping for me. Iv been toying with the idea of stopping at moab on my way back just for a few days. But I'm not sure.

I think Rubicon, and meet up at Moab on the way back is a fantastic idea. I'll start planning now.

I'm probably going to tow. It's still cheaper than shipping for me. Iv been toying with the idea of stopping at moab on my way back just for a few days. But I'm not sure.
I feel like I've heard this before... :looney:

I might be in, 2022 is far enough out that I can think about this still. And it'll only be about 200 miles added to a trip from our new place to the inlaws, which isn't bad... and means we're within AAA premium tow range. Not that that's ever an important consideration with my jeeps.

2 takeaways from this thus far:
1: I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of enthusiasm for this as a whole, so heck yeah, let's keep the conversation going!
2: the advice and input from people whove been there before is much appreciated and invaluable for those of us that haven't. Thank you!
Rich

I am definitely going to ship my Jeep and fly.

Right now I'm leaning toward flying/shipping in and out of Reno. I can get direct flights from Philly and shipping quotes were lowest to/from Reno. Reno is 3 hours from the trailhead and 1 hour from the trail end in Tahoma.

How much is the best shipping quote?

I updated my first post with some details, but it's around $2,800 round trip, door to door on an open car carrier.

The biggest issue with shipping is that the delivery time out West isn't a guarantee. The Jeep could arrive anytime in a three day window. But, the shipping companies recommended shipping it early and having either a hotel or a local Jeep dealership take delivery. That way when I arrive on the plane the Jeep is there and waiting for me.

Edit: Also, seems like shopping around to a lot of different shipping companies is a good idea. Price can vary to some degree, but customer service seems to be all over the place. I'm trying to find a relatively small broker who works with large shipping companies. That way I'll get good customer service from the broker, but reliable shipping service from the trucking company. I want GPS tracking too, which most places do offer.

I hope you're planning some sort of tie-in to either the rollcage or bracing for the tailgate, because that seems like a lot of lever-arm on the metal holding that and the tire...

I had a carrier like that on a 97 tj eventually the tail gate got to sagging just a little .

Might be able to get that number down if we can get multiple jeeps on one carrier.

I'm trying to find a relatively small broker who works with large shipping companies. That way I'll get good customer service from the broker, but reliable shipping service from the trucking company.
I used Able Cargo in Los Angeles for my last domestic rail freight in 2009. Their business is primarily international freight but they were 1st class on service and brilliant on price. They have secure storage and are close enough to LAX airport for a cab journey.

Back