• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel drive won't disengage

juliediane

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys
Been having a hard time getting the 4 wheels to engage, sometimes I need to come almost to a stop. Got it to engage for the storm Friday, now it won't come out of 4 wheel drive. I replaced the actuator on the front axle, that didn't change anything. Push buttons just blink then it stays in 4 wheel drive. Suggestion? It's a Chevy 2005 2500HD.

Have you checked the fluid level in the transfer case?

I would suggest a Chevy forum for more knowledge on a issue of this type.

My guess is the actuator on the transfer case. As that unit gets old it gets to where is doesn't work as well. You will probably blow the fuse for it. GM's solution is to install the next size up fuse. The real fix is to replace that actuator. At least that is my experience with my 2002 3/4 ton Suburban. I don't know how different an '05 HD may be. As RCP stated, a Chevy forum will be your best bet.

My guess is the actuator on the transfer case. As that unit gets old it gets to where is doesn't work as well. You will probably blow the fuse for it. GM's solution is to install the next size-up fuse. The real fix is to replace that actuator. vehicletreat At least that is my experience with my 2002 3/4 ton Suburban. I don't know how different an '05 HD may be. As RCP stated, a Chevy forum will be your best bet.

thank you for your response.

Those tcases are know to do some weird things with high mileage... a buddy had one (200k ish mileage) that shifted to low driving down the interstate....
Only broken part was a driveshaft!!
Well and the tcase actuator....

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Back