• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Performance 4.0 build

This is what caused all of the slapping sound. Could my jeep have done this somehow or was it just a defective belt?
imagedsrv.jpg

New belt (and P/S pump) I noticed the belt as I was putting it back on with the new PS pump...

My brother had another new belt kicking around and it ran nice and smooth, just needs a fuel rail.

I picked up an intake a few months ago off of CL, the guy said it was on a Cherokee but the hood won't close with it like this, Is it meant to be used with non-ABS jeeps?
imagecgsl.jpg

~Alex

Its an AFE 51-10422. There should also be a shield with it.

And yes, it is for NON-ABS

Sweet!
:rolleyes:
Looks like itl go in my DD and the stock airbox will find its way into this jeep. I have been considering removing the ABS from this jeep since the lines are questionable. I do want to sell it and removing the ABS seems like something I might end up regretting.

~Alex

As for the belt, its hard to tell from the pictures, but was only one spot of the belt damaged? From the pic it looks like something stopped the belt from moving while the cranks was still turning. I don't know if that is even possible.

As for the belt, its hard to tell from the pictures, but was only one spot of the belt damaged? From the pic it looks like something stopped the belt from moving while the cranks was still turning. I don't know if that is even possible.

Everything spun fine by hand before I fired it up and the slapping was immediate. Something could have caught for a sec then freed up. I'll bring it by NAPA either way, since I owe my brother a belt now, maybe I'll get lucky and they will call it defective and exchange it.

I left the AC clutch unplugged and the relay was out for a reason when I fired it up for the firs time.

Looks like I have a fuel rail for this weekend!!:clap:

~Alex

My brother brought this home the other day...

imageylqn.jpg

About 90K on it, sat for a few years, the plan is to build this similar to the last one I did.

So what is the best way to dyno an automatic Jeep?

As in making it stay in one gear with no shifts that is.

Well, if you disco the TCU whatever position the shifter is in is what gear it is. So, disco TCU and put it in 3. Or setup a manual mode switch.

Montana Fab gear selector but expensive $165, but you could resell it after you are done. I have never tried, but the disconnect the TCU should not work. The trans needs voltage to both A and B solenoids to keep it in 2nd gear. Disconnect will give a CEL and 4th gear- not ideal for a dyno pull.

Last time I checked there was a dyno for engine blocks as well as rolling dyno's for automatics. They even have them for big rigs! Imagine that!

If you're referring to an engine dyno, then I would have to take the engine back out of the Jeep, bring it back to the shop where I built it, strip an engine harness out of an XJ, get another flywheel, make the engine mounts and make a merge collector for the exhaust to put it on this.
imagecvk.jpg

When I have a Jeep that it can be (and already is) put in and driven onto a chassis dyno a few towns over and run with some a tranny controller.

Marty, If power is put to both solenoids with jumper wires the tranny could be held in gear? The Montana selector does sound like a much nicer way of doing it though.

~Alex

I maybe wrong but my trans stays in low when I put it in low low of both trans cases! So I am assuming that it would stay in 1st gear! Not sure though since I haven't tried it 1st hand on the street! I know assuming may make an ass out of me but I'm still curious!

I maybe wrong but my trans stays in low when I put it in low low of both trans cases! So I am assuming that it would stay in 1st gear! Not sure though since I haven't tried it 1st hand on the street! I know assuming may make an ass out of me but I'm still curious!

when doing a Dyno pull you want the gear to be a 1 to 1 ratio, so 1 revolution of the motor is 1 revolution of the tire. i dyno my car in 4th gear as it is a .998 gear a believe or just below 1:1.

i know people on here make their own tranny controlers for just a few bucks at the local RadioShack or Autozone. i do not see why unplugging the TCU would not work as there is still a cable and lever that puts the tranny into X gear. i'll be making my jeep into a "manual" auto soon so we can play around with that. i'm sure the guys at the dyno shop have dealt with issues like this before.

If you are in low range on the TC and 1-2 on the Aw4, once you rev out in first it will shift to second. That is if you are going fast enough.

Back