• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver window clicks at the top.

DesertXJ68

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a 99 Cherokee and the owner stated that the window clicks when it reaches the top. It seems that the power is not shutting itself off and tries to keep lifting the window. They had a bunch of work done to the windows because its a Jeep and that happens. But, is there a relay that shuts off power to the window motor once it reaches the top? It feels like the gears are stripping off one another and that cannot be good. As long as you left off the switch in time it wont click. Anyone else seen this? Any help, as always, greatly appreciated.:laugh3: Hmmm...just realized this is my first post on this forum...hail to the NewB!!!

Have you tried checking the switch. Take a multimeter and read across the switch. Especially in the closed position.

you need to replace regulator/motor on driverside. Mine did same thing. The teeth are stripped thats why it doesnt stop and you hear the clicking. part about $110

shaddady34 said:
you need to replace regulator/motor on driverside. Mine did same thing. The teeth are stripped thats why it doesnt stop and you hear the clicking. part about $110

So I gather from that response that there is nothing that turns off power to the window motor? The motor is still trying to roll up even when it reaches the top? That seems strange too me...what's to keep it from overloading the motor as opposed to stripping the teeth? One seems as bad as the other and I would think something shuts off power once the window is up. :huh:

XJsurf said:
Have you tried checking the switch. Take a multimeter and read across the switch. Especially in the closed position.

What would I check for? I have NO exp. with car electrical. The previous owners had the driver switch panel replaced not long before I bought it but the mechanic didnt do something or did it half assed and they had a big falling out of some sort (long winded story from chatty owner). But they did replace the switch and some other stuff. I think they fell short of fixing this damn window for sure!! I dont bother too much now but obviously must be fixed. If I let of the switch at the right time it wont click(kinda fun little game I play with it).:looney:

DesertXJ68 said:
I just purchased a 99 Cherokee and the owner stated that the window clicks when it reaches the top. It seems that the power is not shutting itself off and tries to keep lifting the window. They had a bunch of work done to the windows because its a Jeep and that happens. But, is there a relay that shuts off power to the window motor once it reaches the top? It feels like the gears are stripping off one another and that cannot be good. As long as you left off the switch in time it wont click. Anyone else seen this? Any help, as always, greatly appreciated.:laugh3: Hmmm...just realized this is my first post on this forum...hail to the NewB!!!

Mine is doing the same thing and when searching the forums, all sources point to the regulator/motor.

what turns the power off is you letting go of the switch. once the teeth start to strip it doesnt have the strength to stop the motor so the gear keeps spinning. if you hold the window from going up and press the switch at the same time it will click in what ever position it is in. so in conclusion-better replace the gears/assembly soon or it wont even go up anymore.
Jeremy

Just for kicks...take off the door panel and look at the mounting screws that hold down the motor mechanism and the guides.

You will also be able to see and hear the motor. Then you can determine exactly where your problem will be. I have seen a "noise" coming from loose mounting screws.

AlohaBra said:
Just for kicks...take off the door panel and look at the mounting screws that hold down the motor mechanism and the guides.

You will also be able to see and hear the motor. Then you can determine exactly where your problem will be. I have seen a "noise" coming from loose mounting screws.

I will take the panel off this weekend and check it out. Jeep windows have no adjustment to them huh? I guess its not a critical thing right now. Its still cold here in the desert so I will fix before spring or sometime. Are the regulator assemblies getting hard to find? I will have to check a few spots and see if I can find it. Im guessing DC wont stock these no more so anyone know offhand where I can find this part? Thanks for helping the NewB!!

AlohaBra said:
Nice picture...I wonder??...how much??
Ask and Ye shall receive:

Window Regulator W/Motor OEM 1997-2001 XJ
This is a OEM NEW Factory Original FRONT window regulator, This regulator fits Jeep Cherokee's from 1997-2001.This is for a 4 door Cherokee XJ model.Please specify which side you need.PLEASE NOTE ALL PARTS LISTED LHD ON WEBSITE UNLESS NOTED OTHERWISE. $105.00

2302-XJregulator97x01.JPG

in2fords said:
what turns the power off is you letting go of the switch. once the teeth start to strip it doesnt have the strength to stop the motor so the gear keeps spinning. if you hold the window from going up and press the switch at the same time it will click in what ever position it is in. so in conclusion-better replace the gears/assembly soon or it wont even go up anymore.
Jeremy

It's a momentary switch, so to read the switch gain access to the connection points on the switch. You are going to read either normally closed or open. What I understand is with the switch in the closed position the motor/regulator is energized moving the window up or down. Test it energized when the window is retreating to the up position. You should see voltage when switch is depressed. Once you release the switch to the normally open position it should read zero volts. If everything reads right then move on to another item. Let me know what you got.

XJsurf said:
It's a momentary switch, so to read the switch gain access to the connection points on the switch. You are going to read either normally closed or open. What I understand is with the switch in the closed position the motor/regulator is energized moving the window up or down. Test it energized when the window is retreating to the up position. You should see voltage when switch is depressed. Once you release the switch to the normally open position it should read zero volts. If everything reads right then move on to another item. Let me know what you got.

The switch is working fine. If you dont let off the switch after the window reaches the top, thats when the clicking starts. It would just seem to make better sense to have a cutoff switch once the window reaches the top to prevent this from happening. Kinda like a garage door has a switch to stop it from trying to shove the door through the concrete floor. And that same switch is adjustable. But whatever...guess its time to change it.
Thanks guys!!

I just had the same thing happen in my 99 and I ordered the part and changed it out. had never done it before and it was very easy. About an hour in the driveway. The hardest part is fishing the old out and new in through the door cutouts and even that wasn't all that bad. Now that I've done it once, the next time around would be far quicker.

One thing I would suggest is to change it out with the window rolled about a quarter of the way down when you start. This way it's easier to get to the bolts that hold the window to the reg. I did mine with it rolled all the way up and getting to those bolts was a bit of a pain due to the tight space to work in. All in all very easy and straight forward.

Garage doors are not momentary, then again, they have to stop themselves. It's easy enough to stop pressing the window button when it either is all of the way down or all of the way up......you're right there. For a garage door, you might already be walking away....

I don't see the issue except his gears are stripped and not catching under load....

Back