• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clarify about t-case please

Droth

NAXJA Forum User
If my understanding of the info below is correct, My 94 5 speed has the same T-case as my 92 auto? (as they both have the same shift pattern.)

My 94 needs a new t-case and if I can just swap them that would be a great help. (the 92 is just for parts)

"New Process NP231 Command Trac: 2-speed, chain drive, part-time 4WD. 2.72:1 low-range. 87-01 2.5l 4cyl and 4.0l I-6 models with manual or automatic transmission. 87-89 21-spline input, 90-01 23-spline input. The older models used a vacuum switch to activate the dash indicator lamp and engage the front axle disconnect. Newer (non-disconnect axle) versions used an electrical switch to activate the dash lamp. The shift indicator pattern is 2WD > 4WD high range part-time > Neutral > 4WD low range part-time."

Last edited:
they are the same "select trac" np 242 cases....However I'm not sure if the input gear in the auto t- case will be the same as the output shaft on your 5speed....
They Are they both 23spline,right??anyone??
and to the top for ya!!!

I hope you meant to type NP231 because if I read this;

"New Process NP242 Select Trac: 2-speed, chain-driven, part or full-time 4WD. 2.72:1 low-range. 87-01 models with 4.0l I-6/AW4 automatic transmission only. 87-89 21-spline input, 90-01 23-spline input. The shift indicator pattern is 2WD > 4 high range part-time > 4 high range full-time > Neutral > 4 low range part-time."

It is not the shift pattern of either Jeep I have..

But I am further curious about the spline info aswell now. Does no one else have actual knowladge of what I am asking?

They should both be 23 spline units.

The shift from 21-spline to 23-spline happened about the same time as the shift from the BA-10/5 to the AX-15 - mid-1989. Everything after that will be 23-spline, so you should be just fine (the mounting bolt pattern was taken from the D300, and hasn't changed a jot other than "clocking the case." I don't think that will be a problem for you, since you're going XJ to XJ.)

5-90 said:
The shift from 21-spline to 23-spline happened about the same time as the shift from the BA-10/5 to the AX-15 - mid-1989. Everything after that will be 23-spline, so you should be just fine (the mounting bolt pattern was taken from the D300, and hasn't changed a jot other than "clocking the case." I don't think that will be a problem for you, since you're going XJ to XJ.)
The change in spline count was after 1990. My 1990 came with a 21 spline trans. and tcase. A 1991 parts XJ I had, had the 23 spline though. I think it differed with the T-Case model though. By 1992 though, for sure 23 spline in all cases.

RenixPower said:
The change in spline count was after 1990. My 1990 came with a 21 spline trans. and tcase. A 1991 parts XJ I had, had the 23 spline though. I think it differed with the T-Case model though. By 1992 though, for sure 23 spline in all cases.

Either that, or with the transmission. The 1990 I secured for a parts rig (to get the AX-15) is 23-spline, while the 88 (with the Peugeot I was finally getting quit of...) was 21-spline. So, there may have been two "breaks" - or maybe three. One for the BA-10/AX-15 split, one for the AW4, and one for the AX-4 & AX-5.

Wow great, thanks for the info everyone.
Seems everyone agrees I will be fine since mine are 92 and 94, so I guess all thats left is to go to it. ;)

Back