• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Supervised my daughter/Jeep work she is doing from 12xx miles away today, power steering leak fix/flush and diagnostics and cooling system diagnostics and front brake pad replacement... etc. and other round to it items

Now it won't crank, LOL, drained the battery in run turning the steering wheel in the flush process.... story...

Still working on it tonight and friends truck is on its way to my driveway....

Never a dull minute.

Pulled the spark plugs on mine finally. All are fouled and smell like gas, so its running rich. Fuel pressure regulator is also bad it seems (vacuum line going to FPR is wet with fuel). Ordered a new one and a new fuel filter from Rockauto.

I had two oil fouled ones from bad valve guides, and oil thinned from gasoline build up do to miss fires over time (it leaked past the valve seals and guides faster, a progressive problem), etc.... Switched to NGK spark plugs that Cruizer54 use to tout 6-7 years ago and solved 90% of the problem. Final fix for me was indexing the dizzy with the Cruiser54 process. He has switched the 96 up HO NGK spark plugs, which I have not tried.

Pulled the spark plugs on mine finally. All are fouled and smell like gas, so its running rich. Fuel pressure regulator is also bad it seems (vacuum line going to FPR is wet with fuel). Ordered a new one and a new fuel filter from Rockauto.

What the hell did that used one come off of? Des not even look close to OEM or even a badly mangled one?

Front end parts issue.....Usually just rocking the steering wheel, engine running, you can see the bad part jump or hop confirming what part(s) are bad
Looking at it again and comparing pics. That looks like the PO used a rear door check in the front door.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Went to replace all of the cooling system hoses, and swap the Stant T-stat for an OEM Mopar today. Accidently cut the longer of the two heater hoses for the short spot like an idiot so now i wait for a hose to come into NAPA.

093ada4a92cc29b075ef5d2287375a45.jpg

Also found this gem of engineering holding the lower radiator hose to the water pump. Ill grab a new one when i pick up my new heater hose from NAPA

01a6a3ae5084a0cb26248e5e3c2d88ac.jpg

Last edited:
My Jeep runs way better now with with new spark plugs and fuel pressure regulator. Still need to put in the fuel filter I got. Ordered some Bilstein 5125s, so it will be nice to have appropriate length shocks. Tried to fix the passenger front corner parking lamp and ended up dropping the parking lamp housing and breaking the lens off the back piece. Guess Ill actually order some replacements since both of them are faded and ugly anyways. Gonna try to put more miles on the Jeep this weekend to finish breaking in the rear axle.

Death wobble cured! Bad unit bearing was the culprit

My Jeep still falls on its face on the freeway :( so back to trying to diagnose that. Gonna slap that fuel filter in today.

I checked the SWR on the HAM radio in my Jeep. Everything checked out good. Less than 1.1:1 on all VHF/UHF Ham freqs, 1.2 on GMRS/FRS and 2.0:1 on MURS. Not ideal on the MURS side but I rarely use that anyway.*

The SWR meter also measures power and in the HAM bands the radio produces 15-20 watts more than advertised on high. Wasn't expecting that.

My Jeep still falls on its face on the freeway :( so back to trying to diagnose that. Gonna slap that fuel filter in today.

Filter didn't make a difference. Still idles a little rough too, just not as bad as it was before I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Going to rent a fuel pressure gauge to see what that is like. Probably going to swap the stock fuel injectors back in too.

What fuel injectors do you have now?

When you rev it just sitting how does it do? Like revving it really high.

Bosch Injectors 0280155831

Revs to sky fine in park.

hmm so when there is a load on the vehicle is when it seems to fall flat.

Yeah. Ill have to verify the speed it happens at, but around 80 mph I think.

My older brother and Father use to play with 2000 watts on their HAM rigs. Had a Behemoth 70 ft tripod with a 40 meter quad antenna on it in the back yard. Memories dude!! I still have their old WWII Army Air Corp surplus radios. Tubes on it are bigger than a cell phone, LOLOL

I checked the SWR on the HAM radio in my Jeep. Everything checked out good. Less than 1.1:1 on all VHF/UHF Ham freqs, 1.2 on GMRS/FRS and 2.0:1 on MURS. Not ideal on the MURS side but I rarely use that anyway.*

The SWR meter also measures power and in the HAM bands the radio produces 15-20 watts more than advertised on high. Wasn't expecting that.

Last edited:
Back