• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeepspeed Rear Leafs

jakbob

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if there is a bastard pack equivalent for jeepspeed. Im trying to start a cheap, but well done build on a budget. so any suggestions would be great. thanks

like the saying goes, well built and budget generally dont belong together. gotta pay to play. any off the shelf leafs meant for a lift kit, such as RE, RC etc will be too soft for going fast.

whatever you do make sure your main leafs are double wrapped, in the off chance that you break one while hauling ass (it does happen!) you don't want the axle coming out from under the truck!

like the saying goes, well built and budget generally dont belong together. gotta pay to play. any off the shelf leafs meant for a lift kit, such as RE, RC etc will be too soft for going fast.

While this is true, the issue here isn't really just about being too soft. The issue is length, and smooth cycling. The length is a BIG player in how well your springs do, getting a nice shackle angle is critical, and the other companies manufacture stock length springs with more arch to them, thus creating a shit shackle angle.

The other issue is spring rate, while 5 thick leaves may hold the same weight as 9-10 thin ones, you're definitely going to notice a difference. Deaver uses a big pack of thin springs, giving you a nice smooth transition throughout travel, especially on rebound, whereas the other pack would tend to want to buck. Spend the money on a good set of springs.

I'm trying to think of areas you can save money and I'm having a hard time. You gotta pay to play and most things we do are out of necessity rather than the fact we just like spending money. Go fast is the last place you want to cheap out on. When things go wrong at speed, they can become catastrophic very quickly!

whatever you do make sure your main leafs are double wrapped, in the off chance that you break one while hauling ass (it does happen!) you don't want the axle coming out from under the truck!

Another key piece of advice here. Again, back to the "Everything for a reason" thing.

Anyone on here running the spring under the axle? I know its not JeepSpeed legal.. I have no plans to race, but I do prerun a lot.

Art-

While this is true, the issue here isn't really just about being too soft. The issue is length, and smooth cycling. The length is a BIG player in how well your springs do, getting a nice shackle angle is critical, and the other companies manufacture stock length springs with more arch to them, thus creating a shit shackle angle.

The other issue is spring rate, while 5 thick leaves may hold the same weight as 9-10 thin ones, you're definitely going to notice a difference. Deaver uses a big pack of thin springs, giving you a nice smooth transition throughout travel, especially on rebound, whereas the other pack would tend to want to buck.

yes. i know what i said was a gross oversimplification. good leafs will be better built and perform better in every way possible, like you said.

Anyone on here running the spring under the axle? I know its not JeepSpeed legal.. I have no plans to race, but I do prerun a lot.

Art-

Billy Bunch built one of the first 1700 Jeepspeeds with the springs under the axle. It was later required that springs stay in the stock location. I think National Spring built them for him and I used to see a few pair up for sale on the Jeepspeed for sale forum.

I think the spring under set up pulls 14 - 15 inches of travel. Pretty decent for a station wagon.

Chris

Art-

Under axle is superior to over. If you can make it work, then do it! We are trying to get Jeepspeed to let the XJ's run the spring under to better compete with the ZJ rear coil cars that are being built.

What about OME leafs? I know they're probably not as good as deavers but they seem to be very similar except 1/4 of the price.

Military wrap, more leafs, diamond cut ends, anti-friction coatings... :dunno:

What about OME leafs? I know they're probably not as good as deavers but they seem to be very similar except 1/4 of the price.

Military wrap, more leafs, diamond cut ends, anti-friction coatings... :dunno:

The XJ leaves don't come as advertised. Read the fine print, all those great features they list aren't available on all their springs.

I bought them and got; no military wrap, 5 leaves, non diamond cut ends, and some seriously cheap paint.
I really wish I would have spent the cash on better leaves originally.

Under axle is superior to over. If you can make it work, then do it! We are trying to get Jeepspeed to let the XJ's run the spring under to better compete with the ZJ rear coil cars that are being built.
Whats the advantage to spring under?

The XJ leaves don't come as advertised. Read the fine print, all those great features they list aren't available on all their springs.

I bought them and got; no military wrap, 5 leaves, non diamond cut ends, and some seriously cheap paint.
I really wish I would have spent the cash on better leaves originally.

I wondered about that. I saw the fine print but it didn't specify which models lacked all the features.

That's seriously disheartening :tears:

Back to the original question: You could probably make a pretty functional bastard pack out of a bunch of stock spring packs(including a semi-military wrap, diamond cutting/thinning/beveling the ends, 'whole nine yards). It would be a lot of work.
Other than that, as I see it, there's one minor problem, and one major problem with this route.

The minor problem is dialing in the spring rate. There's a fairly simple formula for figuring spring rate in a leaf, but I don't have it handy right now(new computer, files buried on the old one) Trying to adjust the rate would involve re-cutting the whole stack, and probably replacing some of them. This option wouldn't stay cheep past the first re-tune.

The major problem is old springs. Safety issue. As mentioned, you don't want the axle to part company with the truck at speed. Most of the people(me included)who are contemplating a bastard pack are also thinking of using used springs. There's no way to tell if a 100K spring has stress or corrosion cracks started in it. The only way around this is either start with a brand new main leaf, or magniflux/penetrative dye check the used mains. Again, blows the whole "cheep" idea.

Back