• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liberty 8.25" in XJ?

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard (on another thread) that the Jeep Liberty uses a 8.25 rear axle that has ABS. Has anyone looking into swapping that axle into a late model XJ with ABS - to replace the Dana-35? Does anyone know how the widths of the XJ and Liberty rear axles compare? I'm guessing that the Liberty is a lot narrower but what do I know (answer: not much :D )

I'm not interested in opinions about the merits of removing the ABS. Right now I just want to know what all my options are. :)

Thanks,
-Brian

this probably has not been considered by many for two reasons. the first being that libertys are so new that getting a rear axle out of one would be reasonably expensive, and the second reason being that if you know how to apply the brakes correctly you can stop quicker without abs as well as the fact that the system becomes a hinderance when on the trail.

Hunter

Ralph said:
Yeah, but Libertys also have rear disc brakes.

RR3
Won't the D44 rear disks off a GC fit an 8.25?

Ever climb a hill with skinny pedle to the floor and the abs desides that it is time to apply the breaks (and your not touching them)?

Ever drive down hill in dirt and tap the breaks and they lock up solid, giving two choises, stay on them and go straight over the edge around the corner, or let off and hope that you turn and not spin off the mountain? ABS SUCKS :shiver: and you can quote that.

Until I do the '95 booster change, my ABS relay comes out of my '93 when I hit the trail. (down now for mods, but)

I don't think the libbys got rear discs 'til 2003. Mine has drums, no ABS. TONS of Chero 8.25's in the junkyard if you want one.

Rear Discs

I have a friend that slapped a pair of Caddy rear discs onto the D44. heavy welding needed, but he swears by them now. they look strange with one on the leading one on the trailing side of the axle, but they cost him like 50 bucks and the e-brake still works.

Another thing to remember is the KJ has coil suspension in the rear. That means cutting / welding for new perches for your leafs. I also wonder if the lenth of the 8.25s are the same.

If you want to keep ABS with a 8.25 just order some tone rings from a KJ and then modify your d35 backing plates (or switch to ZJ discs and use those speed sensors).

I was gonna set up the abs on my wifes ZJ with an Iron 44 and Crown Vic discs just to do it. But I kinda lost interest just want to get the axles in :anon:

Are the Liberty tone rings compatible with the XJ ABS system? How about the ZJ tone rings? Can the tone rings be swapped from the XJ's D35 to another axle?

Does anyone know how the rear axle widths of the KJ and XJ compare?

What I am trying to find is an axle with disc brakes, ABS compatible with the '99 XJ's ABS system, that is about the right width to fit under an XJ. New perches are no problem so the Liberty seemed like the most likely candidate. I don't mind having to look around for a while as long as I know what I am looking for will work.

Once again - I've heard all the stories about ABS. I am trying to look at all the options. I'm not looking for a debate about value of ABS. What I want to know is could it be done. :)

Thanks again,
-Brian

cherokeekid said:
If you want to keep ABS with a 8.25 just order some tone rings from a KJ and then modify your d35 backing plates (or switch to ZJ discs and use those speed sensors).

The widths are the same, just as XJ, YJ, TJ, and ZJ axles are all the same width.

Only '03 and newer KJ's got rear disc's.

I have no idea if the ABS equipment on a KJ rear axle would be compatible with an XJ's ABS system, as long as the tone rings on the axle shafts are similar, I don't see why they wouldn't be. Same goes for a ZJ's ABS equipement.

Seems to me the easiest option would be to get a late model XJ 8.25" w/ABS and slap some ZJ ABS disc's on it. Though why you'd want to go to such lengths to keep ABS is beyond me, but whatever... ;)

Thanks. As you know I also started a thread about removing the ABS. I'm just trying to look at all my options. :)

-Brian

Jeepin Jason said:
Seems to me the easiest option would be to get a late model XJ 8.25" w/ABS and slap some ZJ ABS disc's on it. Though why you'd want to go to such lengths to keep ABS is beyond me, but whatever... ;)

I seem to remember that if you got a D35 you got abs, if you got a LSD or towing then you could not get abs. I remember someone here did a 8.25, put ZJ rear brakes on it and the only mod was to the backing plate and making the axle hole bigger IIRC. Otherwise it was a straight bolt up.
Last time I looked if you ordered a TJ with the D44 LSD that also cancelled the abs system.
Also after reading this I understand why an XJ in front of me on a steep downhill gravel powerline was acting so squirelly now on the switchbacks. So abs causes that huh, wonder what it does when you start using the hand brake on climbing long slippery hills or does it only 'work' when you use the brake pedal.
The wifes Olds has it and there is this long steel grated bridge on Rt15 near sikorsky aicraft in Ct, I had to stop on that bridge somewhat quickly and I think I sucked up most of the drivers seat cover before the olds stopped. Don't know if I could have done any better w/o it as I remember the one time I unsuspectingly drove my motorcycle over that bridge. ah well, back to work...

RichP said:
I seem to remember that if you got a D35 you got abs, if you got a LSD or towing then you could not get abs.
My '93 country came with a 35, LSD, and abs. It also has the reciever hitch (don't know if that meant it came with tow package)

M. Lake said:
My '93 country came with a 35, LSD, and abs. It also has the reciever hitch (don't know if that meant it came with tow package)

Same here, my '95 came with the Trac-Lock LSD as well as ABS. Of course, at that point in time the only axle that combo came on was the D35. ;)

8.25 from a Dodge Dakota

My 96 Dakota has rear ABS w/8.25 axle. As cheap as ChryCo is I would be surprised if they had that many ABS systems. The Track width on Cherokee is stated to be 58"F/58"R and '96 and older Dakotas are listed as 58.5"F/58.5"R with the '97 and newer Dakotas being 61.5"R. The closest in width to the stock Cherokee on paper would be the older model Dakota axle but that's going to have the 27 spline shaft. In '97 they went to the 29 spline axle in the Dakota, Cherokee, and I'm sure other ChryCo products.

I'd pick up the early 8.25 from a Dakota with ABS and swap that in if you're that set on having it. It's got the greatest chance of being compatable with the ABS System in your '93. After the redesign of the Dakota in '97 I wouldn't be surprised if the ABS System changed too. If you're going to push it much I'd get the 29 spline axles and center to swap in the earlier housing since they're stronger.

What's your tone ring look like?? The one on my Dakota is about 3/16" thick with rounded notches all around every 1/4" on the outer edge. If yours is similar then I'd say the signals o the controller should be the same.

Good Luck

- JP

Back