NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 16th, 2018, 10:01
NAXJA Member

recommondations on a good steering box for xj?

replaced my steering box a few months ago, with a 90's (ish) Durango box.
thing is sloppy as heck. I can move the steering wheel almost two inches either way without wheel movement. I've tried the adjustment nut on the box, ended up screwing it in almost all the way (and then backed off obviously), it's better, but still sloppy.

I'm running 35" tires, so this shouldn't really be an issue. I bought a remand'd box, could that be the issue?

I'm more than willing to spend money... any recommendations for a good, new, steering box that is nice and tight?

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:58
NAXJA Forum User

Re: recommondations on a good steering box for xj?

i have a 98 or 99 durango box, snow plow version, it has no play in it what so ever and it turns effortlessly. if your box is sloppy id say you got a bad unit, mine is almost too touchy.
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:08
XJholic

If you're not running the WJ pump that could be your problem. You need more pressure from the pump and a stock XJ pump isn't going to cut it for a the bigger durango box.

I ran a Lares reman no issues. Redhead, PSC and a few others are good if you want to spend some $.
Old February 16th, 2018, 12:06
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
If you're not running the WJ pump that could be your problem. You need more pressure from the pump and a stock XJ pump isn't going to cut it for a the bigger durango box.

I ran a Lares reman no issues. Redhead, PSC and a few others are good if you want to spend some $.
I do have a stock (rem'd, recently replaced) pump, but I'm not sure that's the problem-- the wheels move effortlessly, even at slow speed , on the rocks. It's just so damn sloppy.

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old February 16th, 2018, 12:44
NAXJA Member

I have heard reman boxes are hit or miss. Maybe buy a reman box and have PSC rebuild it. Or just send yours to them if it’s not your dd. I run a PSC box and it’s been great. They’re just pricey. Rebuilds aren’t too bad though.
Old February 16th, 2018, 13:55
NAXJA Member #1310

Running 35"s?
A PSC big bore box and power steering pump are a good choice.
I have been running this combo for years without issues.
Expensive? Yes and worth it if you plan on keeping your XJ for many years.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger. stroker, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Old February 16th, 2018, 14:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
Running 35"s?
A PSC big bore box and power steering pump are a good choice.
I have been running this combo for years without issues.
Expensive? Yes and worth it if you plan on keeping your XJ for many years.
^^^ This!
Old February 16th, 2018, 15:41
NAXJA Member

ok, I'm not adverse to spending money. any particular model I should look at ?

BTW, I'm seeing steering boxes that specify different splin count ... what's the spline count on a stock XJ?

Old February 16th, 2018, 17:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post

You're mixing that up. Pretty much every pump I've tested puts out 1200-1400 psi. It's the volume that changes
Old February 16th, 2018, 17:42
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
ok, I'm not adverse to spending money. any particular model I should look at ?

BTW, I'm seeing steering boxes that specify different splin count ... what's the spline count on a stock XJ?
PSC sells an XJ specific box so you donít need to know the details. Iím running their box with a stock pump and hydro assist and the stock pump is fine. No need to replace that IMO unless itís absolutely necessary
Old February 16th, 2018, 20:36
NAXJA Member

this the one?
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicl...ist-ports.html

Old February 16th, 2018, 22:41
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
That's it, if you want a ported box.
I have this one, without ports. it's a hundred dollar cheaper.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicl...ring-gear.html.
With a PSC power steering pump, the steering is light and effortless, on 33"s.
My stock 97's steering takes much more effort.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger. stroker, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:10
NAXJA Forum User

Very happy with PSC box (not the big bore box), OE pump with genright overdrive pulley.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-S...productSpe cs

Old February 17th, 2018, 07:51
NAXJA Member

ok.. so help me out on on this.
So far, I have zero issues with the turning ability of the Durango box I have... it's effortless, even on the trails at low speed. It's the sloppiness that's killing me. So I'm tired of playing the reman'd lottery, and just want a quality, precision built box.

do I need the pcs big bore? More than happy to spend $900 if it gets me fantastic quality, but if the non big bore is just as good, but without the turning power of the big bore, wouldn't the non big-bore be enough?

whitexj,
how do you like that non bigbore pcs steering box?
I'm really looking to calm down the terror of driving my xj at 50 MPH, with 2" of play in the steering wheel.
Is it tight? good feel at higher speeds? I know the XJ will never be a good on the streets, just want to make it bearable.

Last edited by jmg222; February 17th, 2018 at 07:58.
Old February 17th, 2018, 08:52
NAXJA Member

Mine is also the non big bore and turning is fine. I’ve had it for years and there’s no slop in it at all. Even without my hydro assist I can turn 35’s on the street while stopped with one finger. You’ll be fine without the big bore and no ports if you don’t see your jeep growing much.