NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 13th, 2016, 19:17
NAXJA Forum User

Re: My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

haha I wasn't saying anything against what you were saying lol I understand I have a problem lol but gonna try to see if the 60 will help me if not then i'll have to cut back on the lead foot. This will be my last axle swap thats for certain, figuring its my 7th.
Old February 14th, 2016, 00:35
NAXJA Forum User

I've got a red XJ almost identical to yours I'm doing a 44/60 swap on currently. I'm using the heavy duty 8 lug front from an f250 so mine should hold up a bit better.

Mind posting some pics of your trackbar mount? I'm struggling to figure out how to place mine axle-side. Also, what size lift were you running? Looks to be a good height without going way too tall. I'm planning on only running 35s for now as it still sees quite a bit of street time. Do you think the 60 will be an anchor and drag through everything or should I have decent clearance?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this build, it's looking good man. What gears are you running?
Old February 14th, 2016, 06:32
NAXJA Forum User

Rockdrummer my reply was not at all directed at you! You seem very mild tempered which is good! In other words you nave thick skin you have to, some just rant! I know you'll be good with the 60! I do not know what gears you will run but 4,56 and up will help with the lead foot! Good luck I will follow your build and keep that thick skin it helps keep you warming the winter! Ha!
Old February 14th, 2016, 07:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeRabe View Post
Mind posting some pics of your trackbar mount? I'm struggling to figure out how to place mine axle-side. Also, what size lift were you running? Looks to be a good height without going way too tall. I'm planning on only running 35s for now as it still sees quite a bit of street time. Do you think the 60 will be an anchor and drag through everything or should I have decent clearance?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this build, it's looking good man. What gears are you running?
Im running 4.5" RC coils with 1.75 spacers and 3" BDS leaves with 1" shackles and relocation brackets, along with bigger axle tubes and brackets its around 7ish. I also use all ruffstuff brackets with these except the uppers. Those are from rustys. As for running 35s I don't think it will be too bad but I wouldn't want to do it for long. I had some bald 35s on this thing for a little while with the 44/60 and wheeled it once, wasn't a big fan. A good 37" Toyo or Goodyear will do great both on and off road and would be my option if I were you. I'm running 4.88s in my axles now. I geared my stock axles to 4.88s when i was DDing it on 35s and loved it and even with 37s it does pretty good. I would have gone to maybe 5.13s but the rear axle I bought already have 4.88s so I just went with it. These are all I have for track bar pictures right now if they won't work I can go take some more. The upper frame mount I'm using is a TnT customs mount.. Don't mind the super thin "truss" haha

it got replaced with 1/2" before it ever went under
Old February 14th, 2016, 08:09
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks! That helps a lot. I've got the same trackbar and I was concerned that making it so short and mounting it that close to the center of the axle would cause some issues. I've always been under the impression you want the tie rod and trackbar as parallel and close in length as possible..
Old February 14th, 2016, 08:15
NAXJA Forum User

That rule isn't necessarily wrong, But having them parallel I would say is more important then them being the same length.
Old February 16th, 2016, 18:37
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Looking at your trackbar setup I would mount that somehow on the other aside of the coil bucket if possible. The long the trackbar the better off you are.
Old February 16th, 2016, 19:09
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Gonna try to use my old track bar at all possible.. Didn't have any issues out of this set up.
Old February 17th, 2016, 14:19
NAXJA Forum User

Picked up the new Dana 60 today! Was able to pick it up at a junk yard near by for about $300 complete so I'm happy with that. Will probably start ordering the stuff I need next week and getting a move on with this thing!

Old February 17th, 2016, 15:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
Picked up the new Dana 60 today! Was able to pick it up at a junk yard near by for about $300 complete so I'm happy with that. Will probably start ordering the stuff I need next week and getting a move on with this thing!

be sure to check the BOM.

I may not be able to tell from the picture but that looks like it is from a ford super duty. If so the housing for a d50 and d60 are identical. the d50 guts are much weaker and they used to not have as many lockers and gears available (that may have changed)

One of the other things with the super duty is the lug pattern is metric so go get the rear axle that was on the same truck so you can run the same wheels front and rear. (which will probably be a sterling 10.5 which will be a much stronger rear axle than a d60)

Nathan
99 xj with pretty much everything and the cruise control still works
build thread
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...99-XJ-Build-up
Old February 17th, 2016, 15:07
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

All is taken care of haha.. Axle code is 248 which means it is a 60. I already have a rear 60 so will be re drilling the hubs and rotors to 8on6.5
Old February 17th, 2016, 18:02
NAXJA Member

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

$300 is like 1985 prices. Good job in that regard.
Old February 18th, 2016, 16:39
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Got a little work done today with the axle.. Got it tore down and cleaned up. Now just need to start ordering some parts!

Old February 27th, 2016, 19:28
NAXJA Forum User

So little update. Picked up probably the smartest thing I've could of bought for this Jeep today. Gonna slow up the process a little bit but found a deal and had to jump on it. Some of the brackets should be here sometime this week so should be getting started on that soon.

Old March 5th, 2016, 14:14
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Getting started on this thing tonight! Went and picked up my tires this morning and the rest of my brackets came in earlier today. Gonna try to get as much done tonight as I can see how far I get.