• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck brakes

rgerber2

NAXJA Forum User
94 xj with no abs

i was wheeling lalast night and my brakes randomly got stuck. i tried everything i could to get them to break free including hit the calipers, master cylinder, proportioning valve with a hammer. this didnt fix it. the calipers were extremely hot and had to be beat off the rotor with a hammer. i ended up pinching one line off with vice grips and driving through the other stuck brake.

any ideas ?? has anyone had this happen before? should i start with the mamster cylinder or calipers and lines?

thanks

Well I would start with your calipers and you might as well do the pads and rotors at the same time.. Don't forget to check the wheel bearings while you have it all apart... Not that it's a pain to take everthing off to check wheel bearings but.. It's just goot to know... And then work your way from there.. If the lines are good not dry cracked or rusted and potentially leaking then I wouldn't worry about them.. No need to mess with the master unless you want to upgrade them or yours is toast...

I agree release the lines on the calipers first , then check the brakes if not crack the lines at the cylander and see if that cures it , odd this is happening with no ABS, very common on ABS models

Hi,

I just had happen to me on friday. My right side locked up. All i did was put a new caliper on it. I am planning on doing the left side this week. Chance are the caliper just siezed up from dirt, broken piston piece or etc. I would reccomend just replacing the calipers the cheapo's are $20-22 at advance, western or autzone. If it continues to happen i would say look into replacing the rubber lines. Occasionally the like may collapse preventing the fluid from back filling the lines.

my two cents.

jason

Thanks for all the ideas. I am going to start with new calipers and lines since the lines have 200k+ on them also.

I will keep you all updated.

Back