• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crazy convoys here in iraq

ladywolf

UH-60L Jeep Chick
heres somethin for ya to chew on (for all you prior mil. guys dont worry its unclassified, i can repeat what happened) We were going up to taji to pick up some parts, which is roughly a half hour, 40 mins north of BIAP (baghdad intl airport). we had just made the turn onto the freeway, when we found that the MP'S had found an IED. ok no biggie, we decided to sit and wait, since EOD (the bomb guys) were already on the way to blow the IED's up. Ok, EOD is there, have everything set up, 2 mins to detonation, 1 min, 30 seconds, so everyone crouched down behind our trucks. BOOM, explosion goes off, all the sudden i hear CLINK the sound of breaking glass. i was like what in the hell and peeked around the front of my humvee, and sure enough theres broken glass on the ground. HMM, this is weird. so i walk around front, and my headlight is broken out. a piece of the IED hit it. it was roughly 1.5" - 2" in long, about an inch wide, and a half inch thick. i was like OOH, if someone caught that they'd be in a bit of pain. ok everyone back in their trucks, lets get there. once we got there, we went to chow, and we couldnt even take off our body armor in the truck, so i was stuck wearing the stuff all day. what a pain in the butt. i have the piece of IED that hit my truck. will show it to everyone when i come home on leave sometime this year.

I did alot of demo in the Marines, nothing better than that buzzing sound of shrapnel, one guy set a big hunk of steel on a load and it made a slow whumping sound like chopper blades, its flew about 300' !!

Close call. Glad it didn't hit any of you all.
Glenn

ladywolf said:
heres somethin for ya to chew on (for all you prior mil. guys dont worry its unclassified, i can repeat what happened) We were going up to taji to pick up some parts, which is roughly a half hour, 40 mins north of BIAP (baghdad intl airport). we had just made the turn onto the freeway, when we found that the MP'S had found an IED. ok no biggie, we decided to sit and wait, since EOD (the bomb guys) were already on the way to blow the IED's up. Ok, EOD is there, have everything set up, 2 mins to detonation, 1 min, 30 seconds, so everyone crouched down behind our trucks. BOOM, explosion goes off, all the sudden i hear CLINK the sound of breaking glass. i was like what in the hell and peeked around the front of my humvee, and sure enough theres broken glass on the ground. HMM, this is weird. so i walk around front, and my headlight is broken out. a piece of the IED hit it. it was roughly 1.5" - 2" in long, about an inch wide, and a half inch thick. i was like OOH, if someone caught that they'd be in a bit of pain. ok everyone back in their trucks, lets get there. once we got there, we went to chow, and we couldnt even take off our body armor in the truck, so i was stuck wearing the stuff all day. what a pain in the butt. i have the piece of IED that hit my truck. will show it to everyone when i come home on leave sometime this year.

Phil, dont worry, I dont care to repeat the experience. When I come home on leave I'll bring it with me and let you guys see it. The piece is sharp and jagged, and you can see how it got twisted and stuff in the explosion. its pretty cool. when I see the mp's I will tell them hi.

Kristen

Willis said:
Wow! Stay safe! Bet you are counting the days till you come home huh?

Steve

If she knows exactly when.

Kris, if I don't talk to you tonight online...we're getting that package to you tomorrow. 'Berto sends his regards. ;)

When dad was in the Utah Nasty Guard, combat engineers 1457th (they're over in Iraq now, dad retired too soon!), they were playing around doing some angle iron cuts with c-4 and got a lil too happy with the math...result, one chunk of alkali about 20 pounds sailed right thru one of their windshields...never did see the insurance claim on that one :)

i met a couple of the 1457 guys....crazy lot, all of them. yep, that insurance claim would have been interesting to see. phil, thanx for all the stuff. i do appreciate it. hope to see you guys soon, and i hope to be on my way home sometime.

Back