• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 and 2000 wiring

white91

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 and just bought a 2000 that was in an accident. sight front end damage. I could have fixed it but thought this would be more fun. I will be using all the drive train from the 2000 including the engine, wiring harness and also swapping over the full interior. Now the only thing i cant swap over is the tranny and transfer case. i know that in 2000 there is a input sensor and output sensor in the tranny but i dont have that in the 91. So what do you guys suggest. I'm on a budget so i cant just go out and buy a 00 tranny. This is also the wife and I daily driver so it has to drive perfect.

I have a 91 and just bought a 2000 that was in an accident. sight front end damage. I could have fixed it but thought this would be more fun. I will be using all the drive train from the 2000 including the engine, wiring harness and also swapping over the full interior. Now the only thing i cant swap over is the tranny and transfer case. i know that in 2000 there is a input sensor and output sensor in the tranny but i dont have that in the 91. So what do you guys suggest. I'm on a budget so i cant just go out and buy a 00 tranny. This is also the wife and I daily driver so it has to drive perfect.

You are in for a lot of "fun" transferring things over. First, most of the interior plastic is not easily interchangeable, nor the dash.
The computer is never going to be happy without the transmission sensors and I do not believe you can retrofit them to an older AW4.
If you have a manual trans, you will need a manual trans computer.
Why not use the transmission in the 2000 or is it bad?
If this is your daily driver, what will you be driving during the weeks and/or months this conversion may take?
Unless you have a well equipped shop and a lot highly talented friends to help, this isn't going to be a one or two weekend job.

And a final question, why not repair the 2000 if the damage is minor, it would save you many, many hours of frustration and in return, get a updated chassis and probably a more dependable vehicle.
The only major downside to the 2000 XJ is the LP-D30. You cold swap front axles if you wish to have HP front axle.
Have fun!

You cannot retrofit them, not without a significant amount of machine work. X2 on why not reuse the 2000 tranny? If it is a manual transmission vehicle, you can put the AW4 from the 91 behind it and really not have any issues aside from wiring up the NSS to act as the clutch interlock switch and reverse light switch - easy crap.

X2 on putting the 2k back together though, it'll be way easier.

If you need a tranny for the 2000, any 98-01 should fit and there probably is one on the NWC classifieds for under 200 dollars... WELL under.

You are in for a lot of "fun" transferring things over. First, most of the interior plastic is not easily interchangeable, nor the dash.
The computer is never going to be happy without the transmission sensors and I do not believe you can retrofit them to an older AW4.
If you have a manual trans, you will need a manual trans computer.
Why not use the transmission in the 2000 or is it bad?
If this is your daily driver, what will you be driving during the weeks and/or months this conversion may take?
Unless you have a well equipped shop and a lot highly talented friends to help, this isn't going to be a one or two weekend job.

And a final question, why not repair the 2000 if the damage is minor, it would save you many, many hours of frustration and in return, get a updated chassis and probably a more dependable vehicle.
The only major downside to the 2000 XJ is the LP-D30. You cold swap front axles if you wish to have HP front axle.
Have fun!

I would fix the 00 but it would cost about 2 grand to have the frame straitened with body panels and paint. I would if i had the money but i dont. I have dont countless engine swaps with wiring swaps/ upgrades. That is nothing new. the only thing i haven't dont yet is a dash swap. I have read over this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99-mj-build-881250/ and it seams easy. just time consuming. The 91 has a lp30 disconnect so it is weak. the 00 also has a lp but no disconnect. The 00 doesn't have doors, tranny or transfer case so that is why i picked it up for 300 bucks. I have 2 other cars that we will be driving in the mean time. not easy with 2 kids but is doable. If the only way to deal with the tranny problem so have a 00 tranny then i think i may be able to convince the seller to sell me the 00 tranny cheap. Is it possible to find a 97-99 engine harness, computer and that would work with the tranny?

The 91 I guarantee does not have an lp30 disconnect, no such thing ever existed to the best of my knowledge and they didn't put lp30s in XJs till very late '99 or the start of '00.

... unless someone put possibly the worst front axle I can think of together, intentionally.

If you can locate a 97 wiring harness, ECU, TCU, etc, you can wire it up to the 91 tranny and it will be perfectly happy. It will also be fine with the '00 dashboard setup, and will require fewer O2 sensors, you may have to do some custom work there but you seem like you can handle that just fine.

Another thought. would it be possible to keep the 91 engine harness and update the interior. how would i go about integrating the 00 dash harness into the 91 engine harness.

The 91 I guarantee does not have an lp30 disconnect, no such thing ever existed to the best of my knowledge and they didn't put lp30s in XJs till very late '99 or the start of '00.

... unless someone put possibly the worst front axle I can think of together, intentionally.

If you can locate a 97 wiring harness, ECU, TCU, etc, you can wire it up to the 91 tranny and it will be perfectly happy. It will also be fine with the '00 dashboard setup, and will require fewer O2 sensors, you may have to do some custom work there but you seem like you can handle that just fine.

Yes the PO put a 87 axle in for some reason. deff. a lp d30 disconnect

I dont know alot about the jeeps wiring yet. only had the jeep about 8 months. does the dash harness plug into the computer? where does it plug into the engine harness the firewall? would it be a simple plug in or do you think i would have to move pins around.

Not gonna happen unless you do dual ECUs or a degree in electrical engineering. The entire instrument cluster from the 00 is driven by data fed to it by the CCD bus, the 91 computer only drives the tach and possibly odometer and it's via single purpose wires.

EDIT: Interesting about the 87 axle, I didn't know they did lp axles in the XJ back then. Parts catalog, here I come.

Not gonna happen unless you do dual ECUs or a degree in electrical engineering. The entire instrument cluster from the 00 is driven by data fed to it by the CCD bus, the 91 computer only drives the tach and possibly odometer and it's via single purpose wires.

EDIT: Interesting about the 87 axle, I didn't know they did lp axles in the XJ back then. Parts catalog, here I come.

I found that out when i went to go buy hub assemblies for it and they were to large for the rotors. went back to the parts store and found out it was a pre 91 axle with the small rotor flange.

Would i be able to swap out the 00 TCU for a 97-99 TCU and move a few wires around to make it work?

I believe you should be able to install a 97 TCU without changing anything else, but I am not sure. At most you will have to move a couple wires, yes. AFAIK the only difference is that in 98 and later they added the input speed sensor and changed the output speed sensor design, so if you use the 91 tranny (same speed sensor setup as a 97 TCU expects) and a 97 TCU, it should work. I have not verified that a 97 TCU and a 98-01 ECU will coexist properly on the CCD bus but I am fairly certain that they will.

The TCU HAS to be a 97 though, because of the sensor change. 98-01 are all the same TCU, 97 is the new style but works with the old style sensors.

I believe you should be able to install a 97 TCU without changing anything else, but I am not sure. At most you will have to move a couple wires, yes. AFAIK the only difference is that in 98 and later they added the input speed sensor and changed the output speed sensor design, so if you use the 91 tranny (same speed sensor setup as a 97 TCU expects) and a 97 TCU, it should work. I have not verified that a 97 TCU and a 98-01 ECU will coexist properly on the CCD bus but I am fairly certain that they will.

The TCU HAS to be a 97 though, because of the sensor change. 98-01 are all the same TCU, 97 is the new style but works with the old style sensors.

That is great to find out. I will do some more research to verify this. Thanks, this may be the breakthrough i have been waiting for to start this project.

That is great to find out. I will do some more research to verify this. Thanks, this may be the breakthrough i have been waiting for to start this project.
I hope it is. One of these days when I am not so damn busy I intend to try the same, since I am trying to basically learn everything there is to know about the XJ electrical system. It's been on my list of things to do for months now.

ebay should have them though you may have to wait a while before they pop up.

Not legally. autobookbishko and techauthority may have hard copies and/or CDs for sale though.

Not legally. autobookbishko and techauthority may have hard copies and/or CDs for sale though.

I found it on this site <REMOVED>

Sorry... should have made myself clearer. Might want to take that link down before someone smacks you for it, there's a sticky up about not posting copyrighted material such as FSMs here.

i.e. edit that out! quick!

Back