• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory raised transfer case fill plug

A pic or better explanation of " raised"
TC cases have had both a 10mm internal hex plug or a 36mm? square type plug.Depends of the year of mfg.

I was told that raised meant the fill plug was relocated to a area to overfill the transfer case.

I have seen where people have "clocked" or rotated the xfer case so it doesn't hang quite so low, but that would actually raise the level in the case closer to the main gears (which are splash/pressure fed).

Anyone ever seen this ?

Yep, I have.

It was a fill plug that had a smaller hole in the plug itself, to be installed with the smaller hole at the 12 o'clock position.

The purpose was to increase fluid capacity for rigs that were towed a lot.

Pretty sure it was only in the first years of the XJ.

Yep, I have.

It was a fill plug that had a smaller hole in the plug itself, to be installed with the smaller hole at the 12 o'clock position.

The purpose was to increase fluid capacity for rigs that were towed a lot.

Pretty sure it was only in the first years of the XJ.

Oh, ok that makes sense. Doesn't seem like that would add a lot of fluid, but something. So how high can you fill the transfer case, and is it beneficial? I beat the shit out of my jeep.

Back