• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elec Fan always on w/A/C

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am just starting to use the A/C this year as the weather has heated up.

When the A/C is on the electric fan is on continuously. It doesn't shut off, however if I switch off the A/C the fan immediately stops.

Only thing different since last year is I got stuck in a deep wet mudhole back in January and had to change out the alternator.

Any ideas about the fan issue?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

it's supposed to do that.

Dingo

yes FYI for your ac to work properly that fan kicks on to cool your refigerant better you can install a switch and relay that will help your cooling system all year found that u control

XJ4PLAY said:
I do not think so. I am 99% sure it is on all the time your a/c is on. The compressor usually cycles on and off, but the fan is on.

Yeah what he said

When the A/C is on the fans runs all the time, however when the a/c is off the fan should come on at 210* IIRC i'm not sure what temp it goes off at.

Dingo

The aux. electric fan in my '01 is not always on with the A/C, or the compressor for that matter. It still comes on at 220*, or whenever it normally comes on, and then goes off at 200*, or whenever it is supposed to go off. Other than that, it's just my clutch fan, and my A/C blows colder than any other vehicle I've owned. (Although it takes a little longer to get that cold than my other cars!)

It could be that the additional heat from the condenser is overloading your current cooling system configuration, causing your electric fan to come on whenever your A/C is on.

XJ4PLAY said:
I do not think so. I am 99% sure it is on all the time your a/c is on. The compressor usually cycles on and off, but the fan is on.

This is how a GM vehicle works, so I think it would be safe to say thats how these work.

Back