• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking noise when accelerating

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
When i push on the gas a clunking noise comes from the rear and gets louder when i increase the speed and it only happens when im on the accelerator. I Replaced the u joints in the rear driveshaft and i have 4:56 gear in a 8.25 rear end. Need some help guys.

How's your transmission mount? I had a similar problem/sound a while back b4 replacing my worn tranny mount. It looked ok, wasn't rotted out like I've seen before, but it was worn out.

just a suggestion... good luck.

Check your lugnuts!

I had the same issue and that was all it was

x2 on the lug nuts. I once bought a Mazda Miata with a clunk in the rear for 1200$ less that the guy wanted becuase he thought the rear end needed to be replaced. 5 min with a lug wrench and all was well.

Redsnake said:
How's your transmission mount? I had a similar problem/sound a while back b4 replacing my worn tranny mount. It looked ok, wasn't rotted out like I've seen before, but it was worn out.

just a suggestion... good luck.

ditto, no problems after i did this

How difficult is it to replace the trans mount? Anything elaborate going on or pretty straight forward?

Ive had a similar clunk from worn out rear shock bushings, as well.

Back