• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

small diesel pickups

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
I've moved a little farther from work and my MJ sucks on the gas milage so I have been looking into a little pickup, preferably diesel.

I didn't realize how rare or pricey they were!! A decent Isuzu Pup went for over $5000 on ebay the other day. I really want a diesel so I can start my biodiesel/WVO experiments.

I found the Isuzu Pup forum, the Toyota diesel forum and the Nissan diesel forum along with searching craigslist and Ebay - anyone else know of any for sale?

Anyone have any experiences with a little diesel? I have read some people getting better than 30mpg with a beater truck - thats about twice what I get with the MJ and diesel is about $.30 cheaper than gas here.

One of my service techs out of long island back in the 80's had a VW diesel pickup, darn thing got close to 50mpg on the hiway. I almost bought one except I can't fit behind the steering wheel, I'm 6'6", the owner, Jose, was 5'10" and he said it was just right for him with the seat all the way back.

Is a truck a requirement? There are a lot of small diesel cars still floating around.

I would also consider a toyota pickup, early 90's vintage. Not trying to sell you mine (you're too far away), but they can get almost 30mpg highway and well into the 20's on the streets.

I would prefer a truck just to have the extra "hauling junk" factor and I would rather have a diesel for the biodiesel/WVO capabilities.

My MJ is just the right size for my 6' frame so a small pickup might be a little cramped but I haven't tried out one in a long time.

Just put a Diesel in your MJ...............:dunno:

EngineBay.jpg

Nice anymore pics of that? A friend of mine is currently looking for a Cummins 4bt for his 86 CJ.

I like my MJ the way it is, a 4BT or even the 3.3 would be a lot of hassle plus I just got my stroker working the way I want it too.

that is a nice looking setup though.

I had a Chevrolet Luv/Isuzu Mikado...1986 version I do believe.

We swapped out the old diesel for a new one from Japan, and it ran wonderful for a NA diesel. It was a 4x4 to boot. Got great mileage...over 30mpg on the highway, and 29 in the city...no matter what. It was slower thatn all get out, but it did the trick.

That was in Flagstaff, AZ, and I still see it around town sometimes, and it was up for sale again at one point.

Back