• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Undercoated w/ Chassis Saver + Rubberized Rocker Guard

urban yan

NAXJA Forum User
We had some really nice weather, so I decided to give my Jeep’s underbody some TLC. I spent the past few days scrubbing and scrapping
everything clean. I used a scrapper, steel brush, a toothbrush for the tighter areas and Simple Green Max. When I ran out of Simple Green,
I broke out the vinegar. Afterwards, I gave everything a coat of Chassis Saver (pretty hardcore stuff) followed by a coat of Dominion Sure
Seal Premium Rubberized Rocker Guard. This is the first time I tackled anything like this, and I’ll be the first to admit the results are far
from being professional, BUT it sure beats having a Jeep covered with an uneven layer of gunk. Here are some pics:

chassis-01-frontwheel.jpg

chassis-02-frontwheel.jpg

chassis-03-rearwheel.jpg

chassis-04-underside.jpg

chassis-05-underside.jpg

chassis-06-underside.jpg

I also got around to installing the factory mudflaps.
mudflaps.jpg

Looks good, the very thought of laying under my XJ and cleaning it just sounds like a horrible experience. With all the various oil drips/leaks over the years the underside has its own protective layer I would have to cut through.

Good stuff- once I get my rust holes patched I will be going through this process...

I forgot to mention that, later, I picked-up some of Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating to encapsulate any rust inside the frame and protect it from further rust. Three cans did the trick. I wish I knew about Eastwood before I bought a gallon of chassis saver. They sell rust encapsulators in an aerosol form (which are a hellofallot easier to apply than chassis saver).

I forgot to mention that, later, I picked-up some of Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating to encapsulate any rust inside the frame and protect it from further rust. Three cans did the trick. I wish I knew about Eastwood before I bought a gallon of chassis saver. They sell rust encapsulators in an aerosol form (which are a hellofallot easier to apply than chassis saver).

Thats good stuff!, A guy I know used this on hus TJ frame.

I still dint quite understand that stuff. You just blast it in whatever holes you have in your frame and hope for the best? Doesn't seem too terribly consistent...

The internal frame coating is one of the steps I am going to take in preventing my rust. When I remove the interior I am going to go through the holes in the floor board with an air compressor and what-not.

I still dint quite understand that stuff. You just blast it in whatever holes you have in your frame and hope for the best? Doesn't seem too terribly consistent...

I might not be, it might be. I haven't seen the spray pattern, but its better than nothing. Its not like you can buy a new XJ (I wish), so what ever protection you can do is worth it in my opinion.

This is true, I think about it all the time. How's the undercoating holding up? My frame has ZERO rust, and I'd like to do something to keep it that way.

Back