• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise when accelerating fast

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i bought this jeep bone stock and no noises at all. Then i bought a 4.5 RC lift and installed it and now everytime if i accelerate fast from a stop it has a wierd clunking noise coming from the back end, but doesn't do it when I start out slow. And i did put on the drop kit. Maybe it could be U joints? DS angle? not having an SYE?

96 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 HO 160k miles 231 T-case D30 and 8.25 stock gearing on 33's

I wrote off my pops and bangs around rear end as 'A Jeep Thing' after I made sure my DS was all good.. I know my bar pins like to make a bunch of noise.. You can check yours by pulling off your shocks and driving up and down the street with copious amounts of throttle and braking.

yea of course i will check all those things. Thanks for the idea xjwolf :) yea its just a wierd popping noise :/

U-joints or slip yoke,which t-case do you have(not 231 vs 242,but early vs late)?

i have the exact same set up on my 96 and it does the same noise. i am going to put a sye in it eventually which might stop some of it. but what i think is up with mine is the motor mounts. when i get on it hard from a stop the engine is moving enough and the driveshaft is out of degree enough that the combo makes my tail pipe bang against my rear leaf spring. i havent attempted to fix mine yet to make sure, but thats what i feel it is.

Ha, your exhaust is hitting your leaf spring because the motor mounts are bad?

Im still all for axle wrap. Ds angles get crazy when you get axle wrap. Look at the yokes and see if they're making contact with each other at the axle end.

yep, i know it sounds weird. but i can grab my driveshaft and rock the whole drivetrain by hand and make it make the noise (it moves at least an inch side to side). i probably should put a rear exhuast hanger on the tail pipe since it got removed when the tow package didnt have a spot for the factory hanger. like i said, i think thats what mine is due to my driveshaft not being out far enough to cause the yokes to hit each other.

yep, i know it sounds weird. but i can grab my driveshaft and rock the whole drivetrain by hand and make it make the noise (it moves at least an inch side to side). i probably should put a rear exhuast hanger on the tail pipe since it got removed when the tow package didnt have a spot for the factory hanger. like i said, i think thats what mine is due to my driveshaft not being out far enough to cause the yokes to hit each other.

You can move your entire drivetrain side to side by an inch by hand? Im pretty sure I wouldn't be driving it...

Back