• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ seat install, front and rear. Write-up and pics.

SyCo

NAXJA Forum User
Scored a set of leather seats from a 97 ZJ for pretty cheap and decided to install them this weekend. Like any good forum member, I used the search option pretty extensively, but not any one single thread had all the information that I thought was needed for a complete, easy to follow write-up. Therefore I decided I would post my own.

FRONTS

The front seats are really easy, provided you swap your XJ brackets to the ZJ seats. I didn't take any pictures of the install, because it's such a simple swap, just remove your stock seats, remove the brackets, swap them over to the "new" seats, reinstall seats, done. Four 13mm bolts removes and reinstalls the brackets, and I found that both my 98 XJ and the 97 ZJ used the exact same holes on the seat bases.

front01.jpg

Since the ZJ seats are power, I ran 12V power to the original seat wiring harness. I tapped them into my painless fuse block, and decided to go with leads that were always hot, in case I wanted to adjust them without the ignition on. Since my XJ had manual brackets, my "new" leather seats have manually adjustment front to back, and power recline.

front02.jpg

REARS

Here's where the fun begins. First thing to do is to remove the stock bench seat, cushion and back, as well as the brackets above the wheel wells where the seat back posts lock in.

I would recommend installing the seat cushions first, before the seat backs. The reason being is that if you don't install the seat backs in the correct position, then the seat cushions won't flip forward or back correctly.

The ZJ seat cushions have a two part bracket, one part is bolted to the seat and the other is bolted to the vertical metal part that runs along the width of the XJ. The first thing to do is to cut the "ears" off the seat bracket since they will hit the metal section when you try to mock the seat up.

rear01.jpg

The second problem you'll run into is that the ZJ seats are wider than the XJ, so you'll have to trim the bottoms of the seat cushions in order to make them fit. I think I trimmed more than others have, but it worked out well and all you have to do is follow the lines that are already there. I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and jammed a piece of cardboard between the plastic and the foam to protect the foam and fabric. The fabric is secured with plastic pop rivets that easily come out with a flat head, then just pull it back over the foam.

rear02.jpg

I then took a hack saw and started cutting away the foam. You don't have to cut too much from the top of the cushion but you definitely have to take away from the bottom. Use the cut you made as a reference and cut at an angle so you don't chop too much off that top. After that you can fold the fabric back over the foam and reuse the pop rivets, I just drilled new 1/4" holes in the plastic and popped them back into place.

rear03.jpg

Now the seat cushions should fit without hitting the wheel wells. Assemble the two-piece bracket and brace them against that vertical section. Make sure to put both the driver and passenger side seat cushions in so you don't screw up where you're supposed to drill for the brackets. Mark the holes with a marker or paint or whatever, then drill. At the time I used some #12 self tapping bolts, but self tappers suck. They hold but not very well, but they're good for mocking up everything. If you use them, I would recommend using actual nuts and bolts later.

rear04.jpg

If you have floor mats you may have to cut them to make clearance for the brackets, like I did with my husky liners.

rear05.jpg

Once your seat cushions are installed you can start on the seat backs. Since the seat backs have an internal lock that keeps them upright, you can lock them in place and position them where you need them to be. I recommend getting both the driver and passenger seat backs in place so you know they'll both fit before drilling.

rear06.jpg

I have a JL stealth box and a false floor, both of which turned out to be very handy in holding the seat back upright while I was trying to figure out where to drill holes for the brackets.

rear07.jpg

I started with the passenger side seat, since it's narrower and once it was bolted I could use it as a guide for the driver seat. I reused the hole in the front of the side brackets, but also recommend drilling a new hole in the middle of the bracket as well. I wasn't able to use the rear hole since it wasn't flat with the floorboard.

rear08.jpg

Now there's another bracket with posts that aligns the two seat backs together and allows them to fold down independently of one another. This bracket was turned around backwards and bolted to the floor of the cargo area.

rear09.jpg

rear10.jpg

Now you can install the driver side seat by aligning the post in the center bracket and drilling holes for the side bracket. Once everything was bolted in I made sure that the seats would fold down without any clearance issues. You'll notice the driverside tilts to the side a bit, but that's because the center of the seat cushion hits the transmission tunnel when it's folded down.

rear11.jpg

Like others have said, the seat backs won't be perfectly flat with the cargo area when they're folded down, they're about an inch higher. Worked great in my application since I have a false floor.

rear12.jpg

Put the seat belts in the right place and you're done.

rear13.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with them. Both the front and the rear ZJ seats definitely sit higher. I'm 5'8", so it's not too much of an issue for me, but honestly I think anyone over 5'9" is going to hit their head on the headliner if they sit in the back.

It took a full day of work for each the front and the rear, but I took my time, especially with the rears. There was quite a bit of measuring 5x, drilling once going on, so be prepared to continually put in and take out the seats, making sure everything fits like it's supposed to. Hope this helps others that wish to install ZJ seats in their rig.

Last edited:
that is almost exactly how i installed my ZJ seats, though i did mine in cloth. they do sit high, but its not big deal, if people that ride in back complain, no more rides for them :)

they are super comfy too compared to factory XJ seats

for the front it was a bit harder, since i have a 92 XJ so you cant swap brackets but oh well.

Nice write up. I have no plans to install ZJ seats in my rig, but you did a nice job laying out the procedure. Do you have any close-up pictures of the brackets that the seat backs lock into in position by the c-pillar?

So happy you posted such a detailed write up. I have my front ZJ seats installed and wired. Planning doing rears soon. Gonna be much easier with your help!

Nice write up. I have no plans to install ZJ seats in my rig, but you did a nice job laying out the procedure. Do you have any close-up pictures of the brackets that the seat backs lock into in position by the c-pillar?

The ZJ rears have an internal lock mechanism and dont require any external brackets to lock into. There are handles next to the side mounting brackets that you pull up on to drop the seatbacks.

Thank you for posting this!! I found a ZJ at my local junkyard and the seats are very comfortable compared to my XJ's... I was wondering what would be involved with the swap... this post answers all of my questions! Thanks again!

your 93 will be like my 99,
the only difference will be you cant swap the front seats like he did
you have to make custom brackets
use 1.5" angle iron for the front of the front seat brackets, and use flat bar for the back of the front seat brackets.
you will see if you set them in there

hey man, i know this was a while ago but, i was wondering do those seats have heaters? and did you wire them if they did?

Back