• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Linkage for clocked 242

Sknoch

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, looking for some help in sorting out my transfer case linkage.

I have a 99 xj with 4.0/aw4/242, lifted 6.5” on 35’s. I clocked my t case about 10 degrees up to accommodate a skid plate. At the same time I removed the factory linkage and installed Boostwerks linkage kit. After some adjustment, got the linkage all set up and dialed in perfectly. After everything was done, I popped the drive lines back in and called it a night. Got in it yesterday to take it for a test drive and immediately noticed a clunking sound as I pulled out of the garage. I got out and crawled under and found that the linkage is hitting the Carden joint on the front drive line. I messed with the linkage for a while trying different positions and can’t get it out of the way.

So, looking for advise as to what direction to go. Has anyone found themselves in the same situation?

I have looked at other options and from what I can tell, there is the Novak cable kit and Azzy’s linkage kit. Haven’t read good things about the Novak kit, but the Azzy kit looks like it may do the trick, but hard to tell from the pictures I’ve seen.

Any insight would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

Pictures of the problem ?? New t-case mode lever is mounted above the transfer case pivot point ?

Bend the range lever arm, or cut and reweld it into a Z.

Last edited:
I've got a 231 clocked 10ish degrees and the boostwerks linkage. I had to bend the arm coming off the t case and I think I shortened one of the arms too. I also opened up the shift gate a little. Took a bit of tinkering but it shifts great now. When I had a 242 shifting always seemed more finicky.

Pictures of the problem ?? New t-case mode lever is mounted above the transfer case pivot point ?

Bend the range lever arm, or cut and reweld it into a Z.

Here are a couple of pics

IMG_7104.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The operating rod mounting point looks like it needs to move up. Drill another mounting hole. If that functions shorten the kit flat stock. The flat stock also looks like it would gain clearance from a Z bend.

Will the flat stock fit/function on the opposite side of the floor shifter bar ? If yes, then you would only need one bend.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I had issues after clocking my tcase and had to go with the Novak cable shifter. I haven’t had any real issue with it. Occasionally pops out if 4lo but likely is just an adjustment issue

Thanks for the help guys. I was finally able to get it to work by drilling an additional hole in the flat stock attaching to the floor shifter. this got it above the drive line.

Back