• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle help needed!!!

jimboleblanc

NAXJA Forum User
So my d30 needs new hub assembly, bearings and whatever else and my garaged said about 700 to do that and to put in new u-joints on my front drive shaft... anyways... I would much rather put that money towards an upgraded front axle... If anyone around the Columbia, Sc area could help me that would be awesome. I finish up school the end of this week and I really gotta find something to do with this axle soon. I would hate to spend 600 bucks on an axle that I dont intend to keep... I'm running 33's right now if that helps... Any ideas would be great.
thanks guys

There about $140 at parts stores each, undo 3 bolts on each side and slide evering thing out and replace the assy..

Jim, It's not that bad unless you stuff is rusted/corroded... then it can turn into an nightmare.

You need a 36MM socket to removed the axle nut, 13mm 12-pt socket for the other 3 bolts holding the shaft in. You need maybe 10mm (cant remember) to remove the caliper bolts.

If I were you I'd replace the u-joints at the same time since it's already out of the jeep.. It's not a hard job just not usually a lot of fun.

Also, check your ball joints and see if they are shot.. If they're loose I'd replace them at the same time since everything it out.

Im not sure on prices but:
36mm axle not socket = 20.00 at Advance Auto
Wheel Bearings (at Napa) = 122.00/each (cheaper one) up to 229.00/each( expensive one) Mopar would be rediculous I bet...
Spicer U-joints = 32.00/each
Ball joints (at napa) = Lower (50-90.00/each) Upper (50-90.00/each)

So depending on what all they were talking about replacing you could spend 300.00 - 500.00 on parts alone.. so their 700.00 is still high but labor just keeps getting more expensive.

As for time, I'd say never doing it before and taking your time you're looking at maybe 5-6 to remove everything and replace the unit bearings and joints... Depends on how much your time is worth to you...

Jim,

I forgot to ask but what year is your XJ... b/c if it has the smaller 260x ujoints (96 - down) it would be worth getting the larger (297x/760x) axle shafts out of a 97+ XJ (since you're on 33's)... If you decide to go the route of repairing your axle let me know and i'll try to help get you some info to make it easier...

in my opinion, D30s really aren't that bad of an axle for what they are. a little bit of reinforcement and truss maybe, with light throttle usage a D30 can be made to live under your jeep. if you run into problems getting the unit-bearings out, use a couple of long bolts the same thread as the 12-point bolts and hammer 'em out. do not use a puller on the hub, as it can pull the bearings apart and ruin them.

I posted a Rubi 44 in the forsale section on the main forum. It's not mine though. If you were closer I'd tell you to bring it over and we could fix it in a couple of hours.

except a rubi44 is a wanna-be44 not much better than a d30 especially in consideration of the to-high prices that are sought for them,

the only places i've ever experienced trouble with my d30 (locked on 35s) is when a axle shaft joint gets some wear and the circle-clip fails, then there will be trouble, other than that usually a stock shaft can handle ALOT of throttle -unless the font-end is pinned into a hard spot by the weight of the vehicle, then if nothing breaks your lucky..

imo-keep the d30 add some alloy shafts and carry the oem shafts as spares,

Back