• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEEDED ASAP: d35 c-clip axle

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=914085

so, long story short... went to install a re 3.5 sf2 kit on a friends 92 commanche 2wd, and we ran into a frozen axle stud... we try to drill the head... snap it off... nothing.... (its got a nice new chrome lug nut on it from the previous owner).... long story short... theres now a socket welded onto the inside of the stud (we were trying to break the nut, we drilled the head of the stud out)....

so today i ran all over socal looking for a dana 35 c-clip axle... which i THOUGHT were very common... however we kept running into gear carriers that wouldnt come apart like ours did.... (1/4 12pt socket.... slide out the cross shaft, and spiders... done) they all had a pressed in cross shaft....

anyway... im stumped... yesterday was my first time messing with gears at all.....

I NEED YOUR EXTRA D35 C-CLIP AXLE! asap, my buddies truck is parked on blocks in front of my house.....

if you can provide me with the information of where i can buy one, that would also help,

thanks, i know someones gotta have an extra lying around...
BTW THIS IS AN OEM carrier/axles....

can you tell im clueless?

where are you located exactly? maybe someone can swing by and give you a hand.

im right near LAX..... so west LA area. ..

i was HOPING to just pickup a couple axles from the junkyard.... to have spares... but its turning into a quest unfortunately

You missed the half off at pick-a-part. Slim pickins at the Beach Blvd and Katela yards but there were 8 or so XJs at the Wilmington yard. There were a few 35c axles just sittin there already taken off and ready for plundering. I scored a gas tank skid, and santa is thinking optomistically and bought a few tail lights for the collection. Got 4 nissan maxima side mirrors too. Thats a hillbilly easter for ya.

i was at the wilmington ecology and both pick a parts.... as well as sun valley
i score TWO front skids... i forgot my torx bits, or i would have grabed some tow hooks....

i saw ALL these d35 axles in the jeeps.... but was unable to get any of the cross pins out.... am i missing something? im the one who removed every d35 diff cover at the sun valley yard....

yeah, 50% off kicks ass

Last edited:
btw.... 2 xj d44 rears at the wilmington ecology... they told me $275 each, so i'll pass for now....
my way of saying 'thanks for reading the thread'

they are having a sale april 21'st... (ecology)

$275?? A friend and I pulled one of that same yard for $150. When they ask you what kind of car it came out of, tell them it was a regular car. They charge more for truck and Jeep axles.

Last edited:
I work by LAX at a shop if you can bring it by (the axle) and I'll see what I can do. Do you think a press would help I'm having a hard time painting your picture in my head. As far as I understand your tire doesn't come off. I get off work around 2:30 maybe I could come by.

i have the wheel, drum, and axle, held together by a seized up lug.... the inside of the stud got a socket welded onto it.... i was hoping it would snap with 2 1/2" breaker bars... (drilled out the head, as far as i could) but i couldnt do it....

sorry, no camera....

So you have the axle out of the housing I assume. If so try grinding out the head of the stud from the back of the axle then drift punching it out. if you have a cutting tool cut of the lug nut

yeah.... i welded a socket on the rear now.... so that wont werk....

mspaint in 3...2....1.....

444ox9.png

these are those ugly ass flat, 10 round hole jeep wheels.... and the lug is flush... is it possible to drill out a new, solid end lug nut? without buying 12 drill bits?

xjohnnyc said:
$275?? A friend and I pulled one of that same yard for $150. When they ask you what kind of car it came out of, tell them it was a regular car. They charge more for truck and Jeep axles.

Your probably the same guy that goes to ACE and loads up on grade 8 bolts for 30 cents each....they looked the same, well kinda. Half off today at pickapart and Ecology is more expensive than pick-a-part.

I was gonna pillage a d30 so that I can build it then swap it in. we found an axle completely unbolted today. but there were them funky wheel lock lug nut deals and not enough room to get in there with anything.

OK try drilling a hole big as possible through the stud all the way. then put as long of an extention you have and hammer the extention laterally back and forth till it breaks. then a drift punch that's pretty much the best i can come up with right now. I hope this works for you.

PS- I can't find my cell right now

Last edited:
If I'm missing something here, let me know... But use a good 1/2 impact gun on the lug nut, and snap the stud, then grab a hammer and smack the stud out the back...then install a new stud.

not to mention that the socket that is welded on the back is pretty much useless because the stud is both a press fit, and it is splined into the axle flange....

Back