NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:37
NAXJA Forum User

Talking 3" Rusty's Lift INSTALLED! How long can I wait to install SYE on my setup?

Current Jeep Profile

INSTALLED
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-Speed
3" Rusty's Lift w/ Full Rear Springs
MagnaFlow Hi-Flow Cat
DynoMax SuperTurbo Exhaust
31" Goodyear Wrangler MTR on 16x8 Rubicon wheels

TO BE INSTALLED
PORC SYE
NEW DRIVESHAFT....(once I figure out this measurement thing)
4.10 GEARS

First impression --> absolutely love my Jeep-

First off thanks to all the people I've been questioning ruthlessly with regards to my Jeep setup. I finally have been able to install a 3" lift on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-speed. I am running no SYE or transfer case drop as of yet, but my first impression of the actual ride are actually quite nice. I have to get used to the sound of the MT/R tires on pavement, thats something I am not used to, but man those are some nice tires.

I don't feel vibrations unless I am on the highway going uphill...I have the PORC SYE kit however I am hesitant to get it installed because my car will be out of commission I think for a week waiting for the new driveshaft. This is my daily driver. I honestly dont feel any vibrations though but maybe thats being muffled by the sound of the tires on the ground....anyone else with a similar setup experiencing this? Should I wait and let the lift "settle" before I install the SYE and order a driveshaft? Is there wear and tear happening to my Jeep just by driving it to and from work? (<10 miles away but take highway to get there)

Any advice would really help. Thanks guys again for everything.

Joe
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:09
NAXJA Member

Re: 3" Rusty's Lift INSTALLED! How long can I wait to install SYE on my setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey99jb
Current Jeep Profile

INSTALLED
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-Speed
3" Rusty's Lift w/ Full Rear Springs
MagnaFlow Hi-Flow Cat
DynoMax SuperTurbo Exhaust
31" Goodyear Wrangler MTR on 16x8 Rubicon wheels

TO BE INSTALLED
PORC SYE
NEW DRIVESHAFT....(once I figure out this measurement thing)
4.10 GEARS

First impression --> absolutely love my Jeep-

First off thanks to all the people I've been questioning ruthlessly with regards to my Jeep setup. I finally have been able to install a 3" lift on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-speed. I am running no SYE or transfer case drop as of yet, but my first impression of the actual ride are actually quite nice. I have to get used to the sound of the MT/R tires on pavement, thats something I am not used to, but man those are some nice tires.

I don't feel vibrations unless I am on the highway going uphill...I have the PORC SYE kit however I am hesitant to get it installed because my car will be out of commission I think for a week waiting for the new driveshaft. This is my daily driver. I honestly dont feel any vibrations though but maybe thats being muffled by the sound of the tires on the ground....anyone else with a similar setup experiencing this? Should I wait and let the lift "settle" before I install the SYE and order a driveshaft? Is there wear and tear happening to my Jeep just by driving it to and from work? (<10 miles away but take highway to get there)

Any advice would really help. Thanks guys again for everything.

Joe
If it's lifted, you can measure without having the sye in. Just measure from the center of the rear pinion to the back of the output shaft. Thats what Tom Woods had me do and it worked out just fine. Plus my cv shaft has about 6" of travel. So if I was off my measurement an inch or so, it wouldn't have made much difference.............
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:40
NAXJA Forum User

How much actual lift did you get in the rear? When I did my full rustys pack I was at 4.5 for a couple of weeks. Now settled to 3.5. I have a 93, which is supposed to be bale to take the lift without any sye or tcase drop. But I had to. Just be careful for a while.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:16
NAXJA Member #272

If you really want to thank everyone, become a dues paying member. Second, the whole point of an SYE is to eliminate rear driveshaft vibrations. If you're very lucky enough not to have any, than you don't need an SYE with a 3" lift. My Rusty's leafpacks took about 2 weeks to settle to exactly 3". Finally, after you install the SYE (and get rid of the slip yoke) you can run on your front driveshaft while you wait for your new rear. I ran on my front for over a month. The Dana 30 can handle normal driving including highway driving while you wait for the custom shaft.

Last edited by yardape; November 22nd, 2005 at 09:21.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:22
NAXJA Forum User

If you do decide put put on the SYE front drive shaft in 4 hi will get ya around. i did that for about 2 weeks on my '99 after installing the RE/DPG 5 in hybrid lift.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy
How much actual lift did you get in the rear? When I did my full rustys pack I was at 4.5 for a couple of weeks. Now settled to 3.5. I have a 93, which is supposed to be bale to take the lift without any sye or tcase drop. But I had to. Just be careful for a while.
Mine is a 3.5 lift in the front and a 5" lift in the back. I bought a AA SYE and TW DS and im about to lift it .75 with a coil spacer and hope that it evens out.

How long was your DS? Mine measured 37.5"
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:27
NAXJA Forum User

also, about how much does it cost to get the driveshaftand sye installed on average?
Old November 22nd, 2005, 22:17
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5R
Mine is a 3.5 lift in the front and a 5" lift in the back. I bought a AA SYE and TW DS and im about to lift it .75 with a coil spacer and hope that it evens out.

That was extended right? I would imagine it would be somewhere around 33" while collapsed.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 Jeep Project
That was extended right? I would imagine it would be somewhere around 33" while collapsed.
When you mean extended do you mean off the ground? The measurement was taken with the car on the ground the way TW specified it, and in a straight line. From the beginning of the boot to the center of the circle.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5R

Not sure how long mine is. I can go measure later. How long have you had your lift on? If not long I would suggest letting it settle some before adding a coil spacer. Some people say theirs settle all the way out and some dont. Mine hasnt. It was actually that same hight when I first put it on. But you wouldnt want your front to end up higher after everything.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:11
NAXJA Forum User

to answer the original question.

no you will not harm anything without having an sye. if you feel no vibes you are just lucky. I am running a 4.5 in lift and still have a net gain of about 5 inches. only vibes when I am going over 85 so no worries.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 14:55
NAXJA Forum User

Talking Re: 3" Rusty's Lift INSTALLED! How long can I wait to install SYE on my setup?

Thats great. My lift is literally 3 days old so I was curious if I can actually drive on it before I measure it. Very rarely do I feel vibrations, only on the highway. I actually was planng on driving from Boston t New York and back after Thanksgiving....about 300 miles...I dunno if this is a bad idea or not.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 15:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey99jb
Thats great. My lift is literally 3 days old so I was curious if I can actually drive on it before I measure it. Very rarely do I feel vibrations, only on the highway. I actually was planng on driving from Boston t New York and back after Thanksgiving....about 300 miles...I dunno if this is a bad idea or not.

you won't hurt anything.
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:38
NAXJA Forum User

Hey guys-

I have another quick question. I have to install my SYE and bring my Jeep to a local machine shop thats gonna make me a custom driveshaft. Is there a problem with driving around in 4WD(Hi) with the driveshaft out? I guess I am saying is there a problem driving with the front two wheels instead of the rear two wheels with the driveshaft? Will this mess up the transfer case at all?