• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble???IDK

BattyBlueXJ

NAXJA Member #1270
I have a problem searched a bit cant find anything and i have to get this fixed kinda quick. Well i just got done wheeling when i pulled off the trail and on to the road and when i hit 45 my right tire started to wobble like crazy so i just thought some mudd was stuck making the tire unbalenced but nothing. i cant figure out whats causing this. If anybody has some ideas please help. I have a 4.5 rk long arm with 32" tsl on stock axles. any help would be great thanks guys.

why do you say it was your right tire? because it pulled to the right when it was shaking?
or did watch it drive by at 45 and see it going nuts...?
just got done wheeling?... how hard?
did you knock a wheel balance weight off?
when was the last time you replaced your wheel berrings?
are you able to grab on to the tire and move side to side (in and out)?

Souds like what happened when I bent a tie rod but i can't be sure...
have you looked at it yet?

here is the test that I did that proved it was an alignment issue. Inflate your tires to 40-45 PSI and drive it, front tires only, and see if the wobble goes away. The over inflated tire causes less road contact and that cancels out an alignment issue, but if the wobble is still there then you have a bearing issue. I did this the wobble stopped and then got an alignment and boom wobble gone. If I had listened to everyone else I would have blown 200 bucks in bearings and other crap and all it was was one time out wheeling that did it, because it was so close to being at the death wobble before I went wheeling that one nice solid knock put it into that zone. get it fixed ASAP

Its both tires actually. All the wheel weights are there, tires dont pull in and out. I have a brand new track bar. I cant find anything loose in the front end. The only thing i found wrong was a spring retainer was loose but i cant get it tight because i think its stripped. Could that be a cause??? Also i was wheeling really hard and it def could of got knocked out of alignment but would it being misaligned really do that. oh yeah i had to drive it to the car wash to get all the mud off it so i could actually see it and when i hit bumps it goes into a death wobble as well. My only guess left is the alignment so i guess ill fill my tires up to 45psi and give her a try. Thanks a whole lot guys. Oh yeah does anyone know who sells the lifetime of alignments and whats the deal.

Sorry man sounds like alignment to me.
Had the same thing happen to my wheeling buddy...
he is on here muddygp, you can PM him and ask him if you want.
he bent his tie rod wheeling (looked like it was bent only about 1/8th to 1/4" off. But the death wobble was crazy.) replaced it... fixed...

Wallmart has some type of a lifetime alignment dealy I think. I know they have a life time balance deal. that has saved me some coin.

Thanks a lot muduck18 it looks to me that the tie rod is a little bent. Cant&get another one till tmorrow ill let you know how i make out. Oh yeah i called firestone (they have a lifeti|a align|mnt deal) and thoy wounldnt give it to me bdcaubg my jeep is not factory. Im positive ive seen many people talk about goinf to0nirestone. Heypdo you Dkink i would mess anythhgg up if i go wheeling today? I just cant get enough. The trail is 3mins from my house and you cant do over 30 getting there.@&I would safely make it but would it be bad to wheel it. Thanks again..

Problem FIXED my tie rod was bent so i went ahead and bent it back took it for a spin but still had the DW. A little more trouble shooting and the trac bar bolt that attaches to the frame was like 3 turns loose but not even loose like their was play in the trac bar anyway i tightened it and now no DW. I also picked up a brand new optima red top for 50 bucks because my neighbor doesnt need it anymore. I also fixed my fog lights and repainted my gas tank skid.

Back