• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble

SourApple

NAXJA Forum User
Now i read a thread about all the possibilities that could make it but i just want to confirm the exact culprit. Before yesterday i had no torubles. than i threw in my spacers and my shackles taking me to 5 inches. i am using the stock trac bar currently i kno i have to get an adjustable one asap but this is the reason for the death wobble at 50-55 right? I also kno that my hubs are bad and my sway bar was disconnected becasue i broke a link and im out of alignment... i got all sorts of problems lol. but its cuz of the stock trac bar and lift hieight right? thanks

First thing I'd do would be to get an allignment.

riverfever said:
First thing I'd do would be to get an allignment.
and learn to use the SEARCH feature

Do you have stock control arms? Doesn't have to do with deathwobble, but did you get longer brakelines when you through that 5" on?

i searched godammit! all i do is sit on the computer and search for all my questions i am trying to learn as much as possible.and thank you for not helping me. 2nd i do have the stock arms and i did get longer brake lines but and i will get an alignment but i cant till i get my longarms they are on backorder for 7-10. so i will address all three things within the next week. thanks for those who did help you keep the forum going.

Make sure EVERYTHING is nice and tight. My deathwobble didnt go away till i got new rims and tires. Good luck.

SourApple said:
i searched godammit! all i do is sit on the computer and search for all my questions .
dude, gettin an attitude won't help:gonnablow
the topic has been beaten to death, that may be why there's not a ton of knowledgable people jumping in here to help you.

There's a sticky at the top of the page that will guide you on how to use advanced search features -- that sticky is there because paying members got tired of junking the board up by answering the same question eleventy billion times. This forum is a great resource and there are some guys in the club with an incredible knowledge of XJ's. Problem for the lazy folk is, those guys stopped answering the common questions a long time ago.

I'll climb off the soap box now, and go look for the ignore feature

The lesson learned with this install is that going up to 5" needs more than just spacers to make it "right". I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ at all here. I really was trying to help. I know how it is...I get in a hurry with a lot of jobs b/c I want it done/looking a certain way but sometimes it's best to wait until all the parts are in order (it's taken me a few times to learn this) :) I just put spacers and shackles on my g/f's stock 01 and drove it down to get new tires and it was horrible. I'm glad I was driving and not her. It turned out to be a very mild caster issue. It was only off by a c hair but it made the difference.
I have 3" coils and .75" spacers on my 96 and I want to go to 5" as well but I'll stockpile the control arms, spacers or coils, shackles, track bar, etc. I'm getting smarter/more patient in my older age and can actually plan better with big repairs. Lately, I haven't been wanting to mod the Jeep though...I just want to play with the motorcycle. So I soend my time researching it :read: .

riverfever said:
The lesson learned with this install is that going up to 5" needs more than just spacers to make it "right". I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ at all here. I really was trying to help. I know how it is...I get in a hurry with a lot of jobs b/c I want it done/looking a certain way but sometimes it's best to wait until all the parts are in order (it's taken me a few times to learn this) :) I just put spacers and shackles on my g/f's stock 01 and drove it down to get new tires and it was horrible. I'm glad I was driving and not her. It turned out to be a very mild caster issue. It was only off by a c hair but it made the difference.
I have 3" coils and .75" spacers on my 96 and I want to go to 5" as well but I'll stockpile the control arms, spacers or coils, shackles, track bar, etc. I'm getting smarter/more patient in my older age and can actually plan better with big repairs. Lately, I haven't been wanting to mod the Jeep though...I just want to play with the motorcycle. So I soend my time researching it :read: .

Thank , I kno that you are not trying to be a smartass but your right and i knew that just spacers wouldnt make it right. it would have been perfect becasue i did the lift friday and my appt. was for saturday to get my longarms installed and than to get an alignment but the backorder was the problem. so i will get it done. I will go resaerch it now, but if someone could answer qucikly if they know... the fact that i am running the stock trac bar is this the reason my jeep is an inch or almost 2 higer on one side.. thanks

I realize that you have a lot of work to do. It just seems like you have a lot of problems and anyone of them could be causing death wobble. I guess if it was me. I would get and adj tracbar, fix the sway bar links, get new hubs, and install the new arms, and if you are still getting death wobble THEN come back and ask questions.

SourApple said:
the fact that i am running the stock trac bar is this the reason my jeep is an inch or almost 2 higer on one side.. thanks

If it is the drivers side that's higher, then yes it's the tb. It is also the reason the front is so out of center.

The death wobble is most likely the alignment. Tire balance is a big factor as are all the joints.

Back