• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Even with 5w30 mine is at 35+ on the highway. It's got rotella in it and it sounds the same, it would have been pissed last winter with Rotella in it.

Got home last night with a 10# spool of MIG wire... can't find the hub adapter to run the larger spool. I'll have to get a 2# today to get me through this project.

Woke up to a crash this morning and found a busted spring on the garage door. Should be back in business by tonight but I'm nervous about what else will happen before Harlan.

Clearly bad luck is to blame here and not my poor time management skills over the last 2 months :)

the mj's oil pressure gauge doesn't work, so i installed a manual one. it actually gets 20 at idle and 50 on the highway. its got some weird sounds above 2500 rpms and i haven't had time to track them down though. like all the renix motors i've had in my posession, it runs extremely smooth. my green xj always ran just over 10psi while idling and about 40 on the highway...it sounded like a diesel and was that way for 100k easily. it still ran really strong the day i sold it. the wj is a little diesel sounding when it runs, but i need it to stay in service for a while, so i'm going to hunt for a new motor...

i got really nervous when my xj started to have poor oil pressure and started tapping/slapping...that was 6 or so years ago

:confused: :confused:
Both that I've had generally run like crap at idle.

i've only had 3...they all were 150k plus and didn't have the piston slap/lifter noise of the 97+ once that i've owned/parted. it surprises me because the vacuum and wiring on my mj are a mess. i have only owned one HO, but i don't remember at all what it sounded like. it was my first xj

Ours sounds like a diesel at idle as well. Have always just put 10w30 in it and it holds great oil pressure. One of these days i may track down why it sounds like a diesel but for now it runs great and gets good mpg so why mess with it.

Changed the oil in mine yesterday with 10w30. On startup it hit 25ish. Hot idle it's 5-10ish. It's quiet, so I ignore it. I figure the sender is clogged up a bit, when I got the Jeep it was 13k overdue for an oil change. I had been running 5qts oil/1qt ATF for the last 3000 miles to try and clean it up.

As the lucas has now mixed in it now reads a little above 15 at idle when hot. I am going to drive it until it dictates I am done driving it then do engine swap.

When I got the 93, I changed the oil and put in some lucas..oil pressure was pegged off the chart all the time.

Now I put in some castrol gtx high mileage stuff because it was on sale. Now it's around 40 at cold idle, 30 or so at hot idle. Bounces up to 60 at WOT. Used to burn oil, but with the castrol oil, the exhaust smells clean and the dieseling has been minimized. And the dipstick shows in spec full.

Used a super cheap filter the first time, second time I used a Purolator gold.

Whatever. Just gonna run it till it goes boom.

Last edited:
Baby jeep has a 97 engine with about 140k. I always run Rotella 10 30 in my 4.0's. It has a fairly loud lifter tick, but holds 20 psi at idle and 35ish at speed. So I don't worry about it. Plus it was a free motor anyway!

I blew the Popcan motor up within four months of owning it.

It had piston slap...but water in the motor killed it.

The 93 motor I got via junk yard supposedly had 70k on it. No noises, until it sounded like bearings. Pulled it out and it had been bored .060 over already...the bearing noise was a cracked flex plate...

The baby jeep had 170k when I sold it, had no noises, just was rusting away...

The LJ makes a funny noise on start up from time to time...I ignore it and change the oil once a year so far (1k miles on it the first year).

mac 'owned a couple other 4.0s but not long enough to pay attention' gyvr

Large tornado, maybe a EF4 just went through Indy and the Suburbs. Lots of people in its path....Crap...

Back