• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wow ripped my entire rear shock mount off..

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Wheeled pretty good this last weekend and after 2 days of riding I started hearing what almost sounded like a rubber mallot hitting the underside of my Jeep on every little bump. Well I get under there today and the is a hole where the sheetmetal has actually ripped off the underside of the Jeep where my right rear shock mounts. Now I did break both bolts off in the upper mount putting the lift on so I had two nuts welded onto the underside and bolted the shock mount to those, well now everything is just sitting against the underside of the Jeep.

shock2.jpg

shock1.jpg

So I have this idea. Can I weld some thin plate to patch the area and then buy a set of these Detoursusa upper shock mounts and weld them to the new metal? Anyone see a problem with this? http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

I really rather not have any more loss in travel, but I can't think of anything else that might work? Mybe weld another nut to the new metal surface and drill a hole through it to mount a bolt?

I'll try to get a pic of the damage.

Last edited:
Okay there use to be a company that made a tubular bar that mounted to your rear swaybar mounts and your shocks mounted to it instead of the body. Any ideas what company????

^^ will that work with stock shock mounts? Or is it time for me to finally mount up my JKS lower shock mounts and stock length rs9000s?

carlton989 said:
sounds like you were using your shocks as bumpstops. are you properly bumpstopped? those mounts look like they would work

Yes I am, its that mount bound to happen eventually. My "fix" for the busted shock bolts wasn't gonna last forever I knew it was going ot happe one day.

I noticed it was mentioned that pehaps the shocks were acting like bump stops and you said you had bump stops, but are you sure that the shocks aren't too short for the flex you have? They arent infact acting like limiting straps for the rear are they?
As to the fix, I think plating it and coming in from the top all the way through will make the problem go away.

DaffyXJ said:
I noticed it was mentioned that pehaps the shocks were acting like bump stops and you said you had bump stops, but are you sure that the shocks aren't too short for the flex you have? They arent infact acting like limiting straps for the rear are they?
As to the fix, I think plating it and coming in from the top all the way through will make the problem go away.

No RE monotubrs the same size for 4.5" and 5.5" and I run 4.5".

I am moving my lower mounts to the axle tubes and to the same side and ordering the cross enterprise upper mount. I've been meaning to move my shock mounts up out of the way now I have an excuse to not be lazy, lol. Plus I got some shorter rs9000s if need be.

Anyone see any issues running the Jeep around the trails or on the street as-is? I'm not reusing the shock mounts so I don't see any issues and the monotube is so pressurized its stuck against the underside of the XJ..

Back