• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do I need to make this work

moparman96

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a banks torque tube header for my 2000 xj with the 4.0 and it has 2 spots for o2 sensors. I am planning on doing a whole new exhaust anyway. So my question is do I have to use both o2 sensor holes or can I just put one in where the pipe would come together, and be done with it. I have been told there are 2 o2 sensors for the year but I have only ever found one, thus the reason I'm asking. If there are 2 in the system and I can get away with only having them in the header I will be ok then, I hope lol. Any info you have would be helpfull.

I was going to cut out the precats to help with the heat soak issue under the hood. Also i'm going to be adding vents later to the hood. So I guess the question now is where can I get a pipe to replace the precats for it?

I was going to cut out the precats to help with the heat soak issue under the hood. Also i'm going to be adding vents later to the hood. So I guess the question now is where can I get a pipe to replace the precats for it?

i would highly advise against that it is illegal and they were put there for a reason there are other ways to prevent the heat soak

are you sure you have the pre cats? my 2000 with federal emission has the split manifold with plugs where they could go no pre cats one O2 in the crossover near the flange and I haven't found the downstream one if it even has one might be the set up you have,mine is unmolested and factory

my son's with cali emission has the O2s in the split manifold one is for cylinders 1-3 and the second is for 4-6,pre cats another O2 in the crossover pipe and a downstream

Pre cats are leaving regardless. They are old and I can't bring myself to pay the price to replace them when they sap power and mpg, and they turn your engine bay into an oven and its just worth it to get rid of them. Besides the likely hood of getting caught is next to zero. I'm going to run a high flow cat down steam and thats it.

Messing with regulated emissions is one of those dirty things we can't talk about around here.

It will also throw codes.

and make your vehicle run like poop and net you terrible gas mileage...and i would love to see your dyno results on cats sapping horsepower that is untrue catalytic converter technology isnt the same as it was when they first came out...if anything you sitting in the drivers seat is more detrimental to power than some cats that are a couple inches long

I'm not sure about it doing all that. But there are sensors before the precats that determin fuel mixture and things like that. It's the downstream ones that need the heat from the precats. They don't change mixture or effect the way the engine runs. But if they don't see what they need to see as far as heat goes it will throw a code.

Back