• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know a good engine builder near Boston?

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. Does anyone know a good engine builder near the boston area. I cracked the head on my 2000xj and looking to either rebuild my engine or replace with a rebuilt engine from Jasper or ATK. Anyone have any suggestions?

I had a great experience with Jasper a decade or so ago. They would surely be first on my list were i looking again.

Thanks for your input. I've got 128k miles on my 2000xj and started losing coolant about 2 months ago. I did an oil test and found coolant in the oil. We drive about 10k miles each year but often up in north country in deep snow and bad weather. I'm pretty sure that I've got a cracked head and have only driven about 2k since finding out about the crack. What are your thoughts on just replacing the head or spending the extra money on getting a replacement engine from ATK or Jasper? We are planning to keep the XJ for "ever" and will eventually make it our 2nd or 3rd car and leave it at a "vacation" home up north later in life. Any idea on how much it would cost to replace the head vs. replacing the engine?

Do a search on the OEM board for cracked head on your vintage. I think you have the bad head known for cracking. You probably will read that you should replace the head with a different casting number.

I dont know anymore on that issue, sorry. But there is a ton of info on it. Good luck..

John

Thanks john. I spend most of my time over on the Jeepsunlimited forum but starting to migrate here. Yeah I have the 0331 head that is prone to cracking. Just trying to figure out whether I should repair using a different head or just replace the whole engine. Regardless I appreciate your feedback!

I had a great experience with Jasper a decade or so ago. They would surely be first on my list were i looking again.

everybody that i know that have used jasper have had nothing but problems

everybody that i know that have used jasper have had nothing but problems

To be honest my original motor from Jasper had an oil pump failure at 28K miles. Called them and had another rebuilt engine in 10 days.

They even paid for the removal and install. Every rebuilder can have a failure... where they differ is the customer service after the fact.

To be honest my original motor from Jasper had an oil pump failure at 28K miles. Called them and had another rebuilt engine in 10 days.

They even paid for the removal and install. Every rebuilder can have a failure... where they differ is the customer service after the fact.

i agree that their customer service is great it's just the down time of having it repaired again that sucks

why bother doing that when you can just go to the JY and get a good head cheap?

you might have a higher compression ratio now too because it will effectively have a smaller combustion chamber. that's not the worst thing in the world.

Back