• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading the 4.88 or 4.56 post and started wondering. My 93 XJ has the 4.0 HO, 4 speed auto, not sure about the gearing. Where do I find the gear ratio on it? On my older Fords, there is a rear end tag but I don't see anything like that on mine. Also, the tires I'm running right now are 235/70/15's and this Jeep will literally smoke the tires, hence the club name :). When I go with 31's will I be losing a lot of acceleration? I could probably handle a little bit of loss, but not much. So how do I find the gear ratio and how much will the larger tires affect my acceleration?
Mike

tireroastin93XJ said:
I was reading the 4.88 or 4.56 post and started wondering. My 93 XJ has the 4.0 HO, 4 speed auto, not sure about the gearing. Where do I find the gear ratio on it? On my older Fords, there is a rear end tag but I don't see anything like that on mine. Also, the tires I'm running right now are 235/70/15's and this Jeep will literally smoke the tires, hence the club name :). When I go with 31's will I be losing a lot of acceleration? I could probably handle a little bit of loss, but not much. So how do I find the gear ratio and how much will the larger tires affect my acceleration?
Mike
I have 31's on my wife's 93' XJ with an auto. I think it still does well, but if you still want to smoke them. You may want to go to a lower ratio like 4.10 and if it's more for offroad then maybe 4.56. You may have the 8.25 rearend which is limited to 4.56 anyway.

tireroastin93XJ said:
When I go with 31's will I be losing a lot of acceleration?
I have a manual tranny and the regular 4.0 and I found 235's acceptable and 31's almost impossible (especially in 4wd - with the 31's I had to shift into 4LO way more than I did with the 235's). Of course, with the auto you have the torque converter and the slip of the tranny to minimize the problems I had. BTW, I changed gearing in anticipation of going to 35's in the Spring - right now I am using my left over 235's snow tires and love the gearing (I went from 3.07's to 4.88's).

Back