• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

square tube rockers

warwagon98xj

NAXJA Forum User
after practicing for six months with my hobart 187 i finally got the courage to pull the trigger on the square tube rockers
Photo0151.jpg

Photo0150.jpg

Photo0152.jpg

didnt come out too bad just found alot of rot i wasnt expecting

I'm doing the 2x5 install tomorrow morning. I'm pretty excited to get into all kinds of trouble with my screwed rockers.

Looks good man. I want to do that someday. How is it braced?

I've heard a hard hit will crumple the b pillar if you arent fully boxed/braced or tied in.

That's just too big for me. I did mine with 2x6 in 3/16ths. I like how flat it is and how it sticks out past the door some. I also used some 1x1x1 c channel in strategic places on the top side nearest the inside and then plug welded to that underneath the plastic tread plates. It'll make sense to you guys when you cut out your old rocker and see the space thats inside and up. For the bottom of it, I cut right up to the pinch seam (leaving it there) and then hammer it flat over the box and welded it up.

i went with 3/16,pass side i just welded it to the pinch seam but drivers side was so rusty i ended up buying some 1.5" x1.5 x .120 and cut it all the way back to the floor board

I've heard a hard hit will crumple the b pillar if you arent fully boxed/braced or tied in.

If you use 1/4" and fully weld along the pinch seam it won't crumple the B pillar. I come down pretty hard on mine alot and the only damage is scratches to the underside. I used 4X4 to do mine and at a glance it looks like the stock rocker is there.

If you use 1/4" and fully weld along the pinch seam it won't crumple the B pillar. I come down pretty hard on mine alot and the only damage is scratches to the underside. I used 4X4 to do mine and at a glance it looks like the stock rocker is there.

Wrong, a hard enough hit will. 1/4" has nothing to do with it, it's not the box or rectangular steel that gives, it's what it's mounted to (sheet metal). I used 3/16" on mine, which I think is pushing it as far as weight.

Mine were fully welded along the pinch seam and they bent up so bad I couldn't open the doors whatsoever. I bent them back down and used three pieces of 1/8" 'C' channel to tie them into the plated frame, and they still bent up.

If you're planning on using them hard, they need to at least have tie-ins to the frame, if not tied into a cage.

1010295.jpg

1010296.jpg

1010298.jpg

1010299k.jpg

Here's my version...2x6 1/8 inch tube. Will be plated with 2x2 1/8 angle on the outside corner, and 1/8 on the bottom. Trying to save weight and reinforce where needed.

I have tnt unibody stiffeners going on it right now too and I'm undecided how to tie the two together.

Also have a lot of floor patching to do as you can see

Gained 2" of clearance at the rocker and rid myself of a lot of rust :cool:

Last edited:
Back