• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Rear locker popping...

jk_surgeonfish

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to research as much as I can on this before spending any money.

I have a TJ Dana 44 in my XJ. It has ARB (model RD113) with 33 chromoly splines. When engaging the locker is seems to be fine going straight but when making a left turn in dirt it makes a horrible popping metallic sound. It sounds like it is slipping.

The compressor will hold air for >20 min so there is no leak there. I have not validated the actual pressure it is putting into the locker yet. Not sure the easiest way of doing that.

What I have read online (1 forum post) is that the symptoms point to a worn clutch gear in the locker.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any suggestions on further things to troubleshoot is appreciated.

I would find it hard to damage the clutch gear unless it has not been fully engaging for a long time. I would definitely look into the air system.

I would find it hard to damage the clutch gear unless it has not been fully engaging for a long time. I would definitely look into the air system.

Thx. Any suggestion on how to verify pressure at the locker? I have to look up what min pressure is as well.

I would start by pulling the diff cover, you should be able to see, feel, and hear the engagement.

is it continuous popping or just one pop? it takes a moment for the locker to disengage and if your turning immediately after disengaging the locker, the disengagement may be harsh.

as stated above I would start by cycling the locker and do check the air line from the pump to the diff for leaks, as well as the locker for engagement. you can put it on jack stands to be sure it engages.

if you want to measure psi out of the pump just piece together a gauge with the same quick fitting. I believe they run ball park 70-100psi.

I finally got around to pulling the locker out. The clutch gear is indeed worn. The edges are ramped when they should be 90degrees and sharp. I put in a new clutch gear, bonded seal and o-rings since I had it apart. I guess I got lucky as the carrier practically fell out of the housing. I was getting ready for a battle to get it out.

Did the axle come with the locker already installed?

Yes. I bought off a guy who swapped in 60s. He got as aftermarket axle with gearing, locker and shafts. I have the original receipt. I would say that the clutch gear is a wear item and ~8yrs is pretty good IMO. I have had it in my jeep for at least 4 yrs of that 8 and zero issues.

I suspect that it was engaged/did-engaged a lot under a load which is a no-no.

I meant to I've had mine for almost 20yrs now!

Back