• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

I might still be on v4 beta... I dont have that.
5uqyzydy.jpg

My weekend starts in an hour!

mac 'tho I'm working a part time on monday for 4 hours' gyvr

what's left to replace?

A little backstory for everyone. Was prepping the jeep for uwharrie trip this spring and the radiator tank had split at the seam. I put a Chinese aluminum radiator in it and put the tranny cooler and power steering cooler in front of it with a zj fan clutch. After my 8 seconds of not listening to Doug, I ate the radiator with the fan clutch. It ran at 195 all weekend on the trail and the highway before I killed it.

Got home and ordered a csf radiator after I unsuccessfully tried to convince the Chinese I had shipping damage. It was thick and I figured the csf was thinner so I wouldn't have a clearance problem. I also replaced the zj clutch with a new stock clutch. It wasn't worth the hassle.

Everything else is exactly how it was last spring. New cap, new thermostat. Hoses are 2 years old. I don't know how old the water pump is. Yesterday I changed the exhaust manifold, the gasket and the downpipe donut gasket and put on a thrush welded muffler. I don't have a cat since I crunched it at WF or the downstream o2 sensor. I bypassed the heater control valve with brass fittings, put it in the ditch and on ramps to make sure I had no air in the system and it acts the same. The temp sender in the head was new this year. My IR gun says the tstat housing is 197-210, but sometimes jumps up to 220-225. The gauge doesn't seem exactly accurate, but it moves when the temp moves.

On a cold start, it runs up to the 210 mark and idles there. A/C on or off doesn't matter. The aux fan kicks on and off like its supposed to. When I drive it, around the block it starts to creep higher and when I get on the highway at anything over 45 mph it goes almost to the second line and stays there.

Mac thinks the temp sender is wrong and there's not an actual problem. I can get behind that, since there's no puking or overflow or change in the way it runs. I read some stuff about the o2 sensor making it run lean, so I might put my spare in it.

The 91 had a collapsed lower hose and used to run hot on the highway, but immediately got cool when I pulled over and the hose opened back up. This one doesn't do that. Once it's hot, it stays hot and only drops a little when I stop and let it run.

Yesterday I bought a cap, a tstat, both hoses and I have a new pump in the garage. I'm not sure what else to do. The only thing I can think of beyond all that is a defective radiator.

Anyone got a set of flare brackets? Had to pull my right front off for a third time last night (it has been loose since WF but the mud from the Action Track finally did it in I think).

Sounds like the impeller on your pump is shot. Moves enough coolant at idle but doesn't move enough when you are running down the road . Once it gets too hot it can't catch back up

Sounds like the impeller on your pump is shot. Moves enough coolant at idle but doesn't move enough when you are running down the road . Once it gets too hot it can't catch back up

I'm leaning that way. I looked a little like a stuck thermostat this morning so I pulled it off since that's easier than a pump. If it does the same thing, I'll start changing parts.

I pulled the drain plug on the radiator and emptied it and everything looked like it always does. I drained about two gallons out and filled it back up with water. That's when I noticed that the thermostat didn't open, it never sucked down at the filler neck so I could service it all the way.

Mac thinks the temp sender is wrong and there's not an actual problem. I can get behind that, since there's no puking or overflow or change in the way it runs. I read some stuff about the o2 sensor making it run lean, so I might put my spare in it.

Yesterday I bought a cap, a tstat, both hoses and I have a new pump in the garage. I'm not sure what else to do. The only thing I can think of beyond all that is a defective radiator.

Start with the temp sender if you believe its faulty, no sense doing all the extra work if you're just getting wrong readings from the sender. If that doesn't do it, my line of action would be your: cap, tstat, hoses, pump. If after all that, then radiator...

My stock gauge is off 10 degrees from what the coolant temp sender reads. Ive replaced both the coolant temp sender and the temperature sender for the gauge.
Also there are times my gauge reads correctly ish and there are other times it changes in sinc with the tack. My cluster is getting screwy
If its not boiling over i would say your gauge is off.

My stock gauge is off 10 degrees from what the coolant temp sender reads. Ive replaced both the coolant temp sender and the temperature sender for the gauge.
Also there are times my gauge reads correctly ish and there are other times it changes in sinc with the tack. My cluster is getting screwy
If its not boiling over i would say your gauge is off.

I have a cluster for you.

Back to cell phone coverage! Just got back from camping. Feels nice to just leave the phone in the Jeep. My brother should have left his phone in the car too.

Flexd'phone in a bowl of rice'XJ

Changed water pump, lower hose, thermostat and radiator cap. Nothing wrong with the thermostat or the cap, but I already bought them, so I put them on. Backflushed with the water hose for about 10 minutes, everything was clear and happy.

Just ran down the highway for ten minutes with the needle in the middle. I don't know if it's fixed, but it's fixed enough. It's 96 degrees outside.

The old pump didn't look bad, but who knows. Could have been air in the system too. I didn't have time to do things one at a time and figure it out. Thanks for throwing things at me to think about. Mac is tired of hearing me complain about the jeep overheating.

he9etuby.jpg

Last edited:
Back