• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Rig/Daily Driver for under 10K

XJdePlato

NAXJA Forum User
I'm strongly considering getting a pick up and keeping the jeep as an offroad only toy. My budget is kinda tight,so I'm keeping my options open. I was thinking about getting an M715 or a Gladiator , doing an engine swap( LT1 or LS1) . But that might just turn into another ordeal. I'm open to getting a modern non-jeep vehicle , even a 2wd. I 've to stay under 10K. Any ideas?

3/4 ton Suburbans and Excursions. Stick with gas, look for higher miles. Both vehicles will run well, if maintained, well past 100K miles, and should be cheaper than a comparable pick-up.

Rev

I'd love a diesel, but I know very little about them other than they use glow plugs rather than spark plugs and therefore don't really have an ignition system. I found an early 90s Ford F250 with a diesel for less than 7k . I've never had a truck other than my jeep before so don't laugh to hard when I ask, but can I tow with a 1/2 ton or do I need atleast a 3/4 ton? Also I live in Cali and I would like to get something pre 75' to avoid smog.

x2 on the Subs or Excusions. The V10 in the Excursion is really not a bad engine, I forget what year the tranny changed, 2000 or 2001. I am looking for a 2002-2004 6.0 2500 Sub to replace my pickup and marni's ZJ. Still looking $18-22K for those, though. Milage will be around 12-13 around town and 15-16 for the 3/4 ton gasser, and, yes, I would stick with a 3/4 ton for towing duties. You want the biggest brakes and axles possible when towing a 5000# rig and 2000# trailer.

How many miles do you commute. With $3.09/gallon gas, getting a 7000# vehicle for a commuter might not make sense.

If I was closer to making a decision on a sub, I would sell you my truck. 75 (pre smog) 3/4 ton Chevy with a brand new healthy SBC (cam, carb, headers), everything attached to the engine is new, new brakes, built T400, nice tunes. I have dumped a ton of cash into this truck, but it's still a 30 year old regular cab, not suited to dragging the family around.

SeanP

Rev Den said:
Sure.

Cheaper than Diesel, mileage almost as good. I do not have any issues with mine. I would prefer diesel....but, he wants to stay cheap.

Rev

Diesel is 2.50 here gas is 3.00.

nevermind I see you are saying the vehicle is cheaper. LOve my Powerstrock f250.

a fullsize chevy 6.2 diesel from the 80's early 90's may fit the bill, inexpensive and smog exempt

1996 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 6.5TD. First year of the more powerful motor (190 hp/430 lb/ft). Any '96-'99 would have the same running gear, and the earlier ones should be within the $10,000 budget.

They kinda have a bad reputation, but in my experience they've been very reliable, tow great, get high teens fuel economy (whether you're towing or not) and are even decent to drive when you're not towing. And you can throw all sorts of stuff in the back of 'em. Just my $.02.

-----Matt-----

$7500 for my 96 f250. It is very clean and pulls with know issues. I traded in my 96 f250 gas for this after a 3.5 hr trip with my rig behind it. The gas rig was slowing to 35-40 mph trying to climb hills. With my deisel I just set the cruise and go. I get 19-21 mpg dd and 12-14 towing. Deisel is the only way to go for a tow rig!!!

f250006.jpg

IXNAYXJ said:
1996 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 6.5TD. First year of the more powerful motor (190 hp/430 lb/ft). Any '96-'99 would have the same running gear, and the earlier ones should be within the $10,000 budget.

They kinda have a bad reputation, but in my experience they've been very reliable, tow great, get high teens fuel economy (whether you're towing or not) and are even decent to drive when you're not towing. And you can throw all sorts of stuff in the back of 'em. Just my $.02.

-----Matt-----

I have a '97 K2500 6.5TD Suburban, and I am pleased with it.

I picked up my 97 F Tree Fity Powerstroke Dually and a brand new trailer for 12K.. Truck rides like a caddy and gets great milage.. BTW Diesel is way cheaper than Gas now

XTrmXJ said:
I picked up my 97 F Tree Fity Powerstroke Dually and a brand new trailer for 12K.. Truck rides like a caddy and gets great milage.. BTW Diesel is way cheaper than Gas now

no tree o five for you?

nope, Tree Fity fro me

Back