• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suspension bolts are the suck

heshhash

NAXJA Forum User
so, in my 1989 cherokee, i have been in need of some front end loving on the suspension. i have put coils and shocks in. now today i got this little piece~

72A8DF4B-8B98-4A95-94A2-53F69F933605-2088-0000024F748A0BE8_zps10bdabe1.jpg

but i cant get the bolts loose, and i dont have a torch if i break a bolt... any tips and or tricks for you veterans when in this situation? i got most the bolts on the trackbar bracket loose, but one underneath in back, seemed to have a nut of sorts tack welded to the frame that the welds let go. i need alot more work done, but cant afford to go to the shop to fix all this stuff... without a torch or an impacter, is there any useful tricks? i have tried 4 or 5 different "rust penatraders" with no luck...

I have run into problems in the past with fasteners that go through a rubber bushing with a steel sleeve, rusting solid to the sleeve. Unfortunately in those instances the only way to get the part out was cutting in two places.

is it the round or hex welded nut
round: needlenose vice.grips.worked.for me
hex: wedge a screwdriver between the nut and the body

Once you enter the realm of modding your jeep the average mechanic knows less about them than most people on this forum.

As already stated why are you trying to remove the bracket? You don't have a double shear track bar - you need to reuse the old bracket.

the cotter pin is rusted off into the nut on the bracket end preventing me from even getting a wrench onto the nut/ i had hoped if i could get the bracket off, the i could get it apart on the bench instead of on the cold driveway outside...

Well, work turned out to be helpful today, was cleaning the shop and i found this~

11A67A1C-76B2-468A-BF9D-11C4465948F0-2766-000002E9C69E35C6_zps89851719.jpg

guess ill be getting this done tomorrow. wish me luck!

the cotter pin is rusted off into the nut on the bracket end preventing me from even getting a wrench onto the nut/ i had hoped if i could get the bracket off, the i could get it apart on the bench instead of on the cold driveway outside...

Crap like this happens all the time up here. We usually beat a socket over the nut or drill out the cotter pin.

i think i got room to try to punch it out i hope, otherwise ill just torch it off, that little torch has a baby cutting tip for small spots...

Back