• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame to shackle bolts SUCK!!!

-88fleXJ-

NAXJA Forum User
i'm trying to replace my stock shackles with RE 1.5'' lift boomarangs.

and BOTH of the top bolts i think are broke.

i try takeing my braker bar to loosen them and when i do they go POP,POP,POP and are not backing out.

please do you guys have any sugg or tips! i'm about to go crazy! thanks

i'm trying to replace my stock shackles with RE 1.5'' lift boomarangs.

and BOTH of the top bolts i think are broke.

i try takeing my braker bar to loosen them and when i do they go POP,POP,POP and are not backing out.

please do you guys have any sugg or tips! i'm about to go crazy! thanks

PB Blaster works wonders!!!!!!!!!!

the bolt is most likely frozen in the sleeve of the bushing, but pop pop is ok as long as the nut in the frame rail doesnt break off..

i took the bumper off and put a socket on the bolt to assure that it didnt break loose in the frame rail.

you may have to cut the shackle or the bolt, sawzaw works well, that your removing.

Mine made a popping sound when I took them out of both Jeeps...it's just slow because the breaker bar limits how far you can crank if each time, plus the metal box is probably compressed some. I say PB blaster it some more and keep trying. If it's already broken, then you won't do any harm.

~Scott

Probably a little hung up in the sleeve, like every one else said. Keep at it, it will come out.

Its even more fun to get the bolts out of the front of the leaf.

mine popped all the way to the end... then i anti siezed the hell out of them! =) mind you i STILL cant remove my upper bolt... i can remove it all the way up until the threads hit the shackle sleeve then it stops coming out so i am thinking i will have to cut the bolt with a sawzall and replace it with a new one.. like 89xj said, remove the bumper and turn it some more see if the nut isnt moving, but if it was you'd know it would spin more freely.

I had the exact same problem. With mine the bolt backed out into the rubber bushing but it wouldn't come out any further because it was so wedged in there. I cut the bolt with a sawzall right next to the "frame" and then another cut out on the other side of the bushing and it dropped out. It took about 15 minutes with a punch to get the bolt out while hitting it with a small sledge.

Moral of the story... cut it out.

why would you use a 5 dollar OEM bolt when you can goto a hardware store and get a 2 dollar metric 10.9 or grade 8 replacement? nothing says you cant grind down the tip to make it like the oem bolt...

hey guys thanks for all the help! i got the pass side out. BUT the driver side one broke right where the threads start. i was able to pry the shackle out and now i have about 1/2 inch of bolt sticking out. any ideas? thanks again.

I know I got here a little late, but there is a new product out called freeze out that works great for siezed up bolts. It has like liquid nitrogen and penetrating oil mixed together in a spray can. It rapidly freezes the bolt, causing it to contract and expand while at the same time the penetrating oil is working it's way in. It was recommended to me by a buddy, and it works great.

Because if the bolt is that froze up do you really want to put that old piece of crap back in? Replace it with a new one and anti seize it.

Now he's got a stub instead of a bolt to remove. That's why I think cutting the shackle up is a better idea- although there's no guarantee he would have gotten the bolt out, you at least can put heat and PB/Kroil/etc directly on the threads, which should facilitate removing the bolt. I guess if you've got access to better tools, it's a moot point.

hey guys thanks for all the help! i got the pass side out. BUT the driver side one broke right where the threads start. i was able to pry the shackle out and now i have about 1/2 inch of bolt sticking out. any ideas? thanks again.

two options: first is pull off the rear bumper and try to knock the weldnut off the inside frame rail with a punch. seconde option is drill through the remaining hardware, make it as flat as you can then start with a very small drill bit and work your way up, and try not to go bigger because you'll have to modify all of the other holes for it to work

I know I got here a little late, but there is a new product out called freeze out that works great for siezed up bolts. It has like liquid nitrogen and penetrating oil mixed together in a spray can. It rapidly freezes the bolt, causing it to contract and expand while at the same time the penetrating oil is working it's way in. It was recommended to me by a buddy, and it works great.
Does this product have a name and a place to buy it at?

Back