• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Biggest original tire size?!?

HEKULIINI

NAXJA Forum User
Hello!

Here in (Soviet-)Finland we can`t just put under 35" tires if we want to. We have strict regulations on tire sizes. We can only use 51mm (thats~2") larger tires that was the biggest original tire size. I´m now running on 31" tires and hoping to get bigger but first I have to find an XJ which came out the factory with 30" or above tires.

Or is it a fact that the biggest tire size was 225/75/15???

Can anyone help me???

Sounds interesting!
Has anyone more spesific information about this Upcountry package? Like when/where it was awailable.

Up-Country came with upgraded springs for a 1" lift over stock, upgraded shocks, skid plates, tow hooks, a rear limited slip differential, and an automatic transmission cooler. They also removed the rear sway bar for better rear end flex. As far as I know, Up-Countrys came with either 225/75/15 or 225/70/16 tires, just like normal XJ's.

Where do you live in Finland? I used to work for a company that had a sister operation in Vaasa (or Waasa as you call it). I imagine it's quite cold over there right now!

I live in Pori it´s also on west coast of Finland few hundred kilometers below Vaasa. Something has gone wrong with the weather because it´s not as cold as it should be. Now it´s +2°C and it should be around -30°C. Greenhouse effect???

nosajwp said:
Up-Country came with upgraded springs for a 1" lift over stock, upgraded shocks, skid plates, tow hooks, a rear limited slip differential, and an automatic transmission cooler. They also removed the rear sway bar for better rear end flex. As far as I know, Up-Countrys came with either 225/75/15 or 225/70/16 tires, just like normal XJ's.
This is correct. The largest stock tire was was 225/75/15 or 225/70/16. Note that the second is a 70-series, not a 75. The two tires are actually almost identical in outside diameter. 30" tires were never offered by the factory (at least not in the U.S. -- don't know about European export models, but I know the XJs sold in Chile were all built in the U.S. to U.S. specs).

nosajwp said:
As far as I know, Up-Countrys came with either 225/75/15 or 225/70/16 tires, just like normal XJ's.
That is correct: The biggest tire on an XJ was 225 75 15.
In regards to checking for size, what do they look at? Reason I ask is that there used to be a jeep called Cherokee which was full size jeep which I believe came with bigger tires (but the factory code was not XJ).

Hekuliini - Are the headlights on your XJ the kind where you replace the whole assembly, or the kind where you pull the housing out, and replace the bulb inside? If the latter, is there a brand name molded into the lens?

I've heard Cibie's were original equipment on export XJ's, but have never been able to confirm this.

crookedxj said:
I believe XJ's with the Upcountry package came with 30's.

Sorry ignore that statement. Many people who have the upcountry package put 30's on though... :thumbup: then again, 30's will fit on a non-upcountry as well.

Back