• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove tailgate lock cylinder 97 XJ

Terrence

NAXJA Forum User
I am befuddled as to how to remove the keyed lock cylinder from the tailgate latch assembly of my 97 XJ. (Keyed cylinder inoperable after only 337000 miles) I removed the interior panel of course, and carefully removed the rusted wire retaining clip, but it looks like there is an additional plastic thingy surrounding the cylinder and holding it in place. It is difficult to access and difficult to see. Any help with photos or diagrams or instructions? I have a new cylinder lock.

If my replacement of the damaged liftgate had gone according to plan, I'd have been able to tell you in minutest detail but, unfortunately, removing the old one (to keep the original key) & fitting it in the new one, which doesn't have a lock is the least of my problems.

However help for you is only a Utube away: there's plenty on all aspects of this latch & lock - iirc, OffRoad Corner is a pretty good one.

Back