• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What parts should I scavenge?

workboots

NAXJA Forum User
I have a friend who wanted the lift taken off 99 XJ that was wrecked pretty bad. I can grab pretty much any thing in payment before he sends it to scrap. If I had room I would haul it home. I have three XJs, 98-00. My daughter daily drives the 00.

I'm making a list since there are so many things I can use as replacements and spares. I'm going to store them for future use.

Help me with my list please because I know I am missing a bunch and do not want this opportunity to pass without taking advantage of it.

Thank you guys!

I would pull engine but it hit a tree head on square and harmonic balancer is for sure bent. Timing chain cover is smashed by it. I bet the crankshaft is damaged.

I would get whatever you can pull if you have room to store. Tranny, TC, Computer, front axle if it is not bent, rear axle if it is a 8.25. Driveshafts, especially the front one.

Get whatever interior parts you can. The 97-01 trans shifter bezels are hard to come by, get that and the TC bezel. If it's a 2 door with power windows, GET the regulators! Those are almost non-existent. I'd pull the console if it is in good shape. The headliner, if in good shape is worth it, are getting harder to find not cracked or broken. Tail lights are worth money, too, especially if they are factory.

As far as I'm concerned, almost any part is worth saving. It's hard to get parts as more and more hit the scrap heap. I go the the yards all the time looking for spare parts to save.

I wish I had a means to drag the entire thing home. I don't have a place for it and the wife would melt down with me having a yard art Jeep.

Like JonnyCat63 said " . . . whatever you can pull if you have room to store." Because " . . . almost any part is worth saving." But remember, some stuff doesn't store well, think interiors, trim & glass. Think about putting those parts up for sale as soon as you get them home.

Not sure I understand "It's hard to get parts as more and more hit the scrap heap" though, 'cos I would have thought the opposite was true, i.e. every XJ in a scrapyard is more parts for the survivors.

I'll take the taillights assemblies. Both

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I went to junkyard today for the first time in probably 15 years to grab a few parts for my roof racks. I noticed every XJ had the instrument panel gone. Would this be worth keeping around?

My 98 xj came with the idiot light dash so I got a dash with the gauges I paid like 50 bucks plus shipping from eBay like 10 years ago fwiw.

Back