• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KJ rear disc brake???

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up some '05 Liberty backing plates(I grabbed a ZJ set-up years ago, but.....) for my 2k 8.25. While putting together a parts list including some new axles, I see that Yukon sells a different length axle for the KJ which has me questioning why?

Never done it personally but I've looked at doing it. I think the different length axles are due to a track width difference. Use OEM Xj axles. Never heard of anyone having to change it out.

A lot of people have used kj discs for the rear brakes, I think you'll still need the zj brake lines to tie it in to the xj lines and connect to the kj calipers
I am really considering doing this upgrade to one of our xj.

I though kj 8.25 were the same axel shaft left or right???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought and installed a set of Yukon YA C52098902 29-spline axles.
They fit perfectly. They do not come with wheel studs so plan on sourcing and installing them. A hydraulic press make the process easy.

Who makes parking brake cables for this set-up?

I ordered a set of cables from M.O.R.E., I received my Yukon axles and C-clips today! The calipers/pads will be in on Thursday and awaiting shipping details on my rotors. I already purchased parking brake shoes/hardware kit and caliper flex lines, wheel bearings, and wheel seals.

Well my cables came in today and they look perfect! So now I have everything but rotors and those are still a couple weeks out. In the meantime, everything for my WJ front brakes will be here by Wednesday but that another thread!

I didn't see cables at more, just soft lines. What did you get? These explorer ones won't fit without mods and I'd rather not fuss with these brakes anymore.

I didn't see cables at more, just soft lines. What did you get? These explorer ones won't fit without mods and I'd rather not fuss with these brakes anymore.

Particulalry because I have a 2K.............. https://www.mountainoffroad.com/jeep-xj/suspension/ford-8-8-axle/diff-cover-for-ford-8-8-axle-sandblasted-textured-finish-66.html
I'll get pics in the morning, but the Explorer8.8, ZJ D35, and the KJ C8.25 are all the same except for axle flange diameter and bolt pattern.

Last edited:
They couldn't fit any better!
P1080475_zps7nkh9vbp.jpg

I don't see why they wouldn't hold, everything is brand new with metallic shoes and cryo'd rotors!

I hardly ever use my parking brake, mostly at the house when I'm working on it! With a final drive ratio of 51:1, I was "driving thru" my drum brakes.

After driving around today.............the pedal is low which I don't care for and the driver rear is running cooler than the pass(that's a odd one)?

Did you reuse the hard lines? Are the pads catching on any grooves in the ears of the backing plate they ride on? I think those were the only used things you got, right?

I used all my original lines and SS flex hoses, but I'm trying to find SS flex hoses for the calipers. There is nothing impeding the pads, the backing plates were like brand new.

I should add that for the past 16yrs the pedal has been rock hard with about 1/2" travel.

Last edited:
I see so many of these threads come up and after countless hours of my own spent trying to rectify the same issue, I'm starting to believe that this is 'normal' for this swap. Folks make up for the softer pedal by going with more aggressive pads that take less pressure to stop than the stock system did.

Back