• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump relay question

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I l8ve in Portland and there is a ton of car theft haplening. A forest service XJ just like mine was stolen this morning.
In lieu of a kill switch I just want to pull the fuel pumprelay when I leave the Jeep and pop it back in b before I start it as a theft deterrent.
Is it safe and okay to jist pull and plug back in the relay or do I need to disconnect the battery first???

I plan on doing something like that down the road.
So totallyokay to pull and plug in fuel pump relay at will while jeeo is off? No weirdness? Haha

Shouldn't affect anything, but doing that frequently will add wear-n-tear on the socket.

I was tempted to modify the NSS so it only started in neutral, but decided it wasn't worth it. Heck, I don't even lock it cuz the door cylinder is busted..

For the record, this kind of thing is where it pays to be in the middle of nowhere; the only time the keys come out of mine is if there is mail in it because that's the rules. Otherwise the key is in the ignition 24/7. I don't think the key has been out of our farm truck in over a decade.

Over here they were ripping off XJ's daily and driving them to Russia where they brought top Ruble. The only real security is a tip alarm IMO. Here they'd puncture the battery, let it drain for an hour then tow it off, they used car lifts. Mine has a fairly sensitive tip alarm, hail will set it off and the unit goes off with its own internal battery if the main battery is dead.
If you must pull the ASD relay which pretty much shuts down everything.

Side story I woke up at 3 AM because I heard a diesel idling, looked out the window and this guy had the boom for one of those boom auto lift trucks swung over the top of the wife's XJ. I went out to confront the driver and he was in the driver's seat trying to up the idle. I tapped on the drivers side window with my shotgun barrel. He took off like his ass was on fire with the boom still over the side. He was lucky there were no vans or trucks parked on the right side of the street.
Just a few days ago a pair stole near two hundred pounds of scrap copper ($3 a pound here) and brass from my driveway. I got them on camera, still looking for them, they are local I've seen them before, I'll find them.
God, I hate a thief.

Another thing you can do is turn your steering wheel all the way left or right before you lock it. That will slow down the gone in sixty-seconds REPO man with a tire lift on the back of his one ton.

Over here they were ripping off XJ's daily and driving them to Russia where they brought top Ruble. The only real security is a tip alarm IMO. Here they'd puncture the battery, let it drain for an hour then tow it off, they used car lifts. Mine has a fairly sensitive tip alarm, hail will set it off and the unit goes off with its own internal battery if the main battery is dead.
If you must pull the ASD relay which pretty much shuts down everything.

Time was when you could drive to Russia but, afak, the Baring Straight doesn't freeze over now.

I thought the steering lock only worked in one position: only a few degrees off straight ahead.
My Renix will lock the steering wheel way off center, the downside is it can make it hard to turn the key and/or get the key out. No idea about the non GM steering columns. But seeing as SOP is to turn the steering wheel into the curb when parking on a hill, it is likely they will lock far right or left.

Time was when you could drive to Russia but, afak, the Baring Straight doesn't freeze over now.
I'm living mostly in Germany. in the southwest, it is likely Mexico. In other places they need a boat. A guy here in Germany was shipping a bunch of rusted-out XJ's to Africa. They are still fairly popular in a lot of places. Or even now on days for parts.

Advice is worth what you paid for it. But sitting back and taking pot shots is worth even less.

Back