• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

I made a tool to do mine years ago. Basically an allen socket through a 9/16" box wrench that had the open end cut off. Put that on it facing straight up. Then take a big pipe or jack handle and stick it down on top of it through the top of the engine bay. It gives you just enough leverage to break it loose.

This worked on both my 94 and 01's.

I had a T55 IIRC welded to a 3/4" nut. can't seem to get enough leverage on it tho.

ok how did you get the damn thing off? I've had a 4' breaker bar on mine and nothing. thought about draining the water out of rad and driving around the block to warm things up.

Weird all the times I've had to take thase adapters off I haven't really struggled using just my 2' breaker bar. maybe apply some localized heat and smashing the head of the bolt to break any rust loose.

Transfer case is seeping again already.

Time to find a 241j

ok how did you get the damn thing off? I've had a 4' breaker bar on mine and nothing. thought about draining the water out of rad and driving around the block to warm things up.

No trickery needed for me, came right off with a 15 or 16mm socket and wrench.

Went to move the Jeep out of the garage to work on the Cadillac... Got it to run for about 1 minute then it died and can't get it running again. No fuel pressure. Nothing coming from the pump even though it runs. :mad: Guess I get to pull the pump for a 3rd time.

Went to move the Jeep out of the garage to work on the Cadillac... Got it to run for about 1 minute then it died and can't get it running again. No fuel pressure. Nothing coming from the pump even though it runs. :mad: Guess I get to pull the pump for a 3rd time.

Man I wonder why your Jeep keeps burning pumps.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays folks. Got a brand new $189 :tears::bawl:battery this week for my 290K mile 89 Wagoneer, back up DD. Under the AZone 3 year warrant for free :D

Wasted $700 on transport costs bringing my Daughter's 89 White 4x4 Cherokee down here from Colorado Springs. Need to solve the puking coolant bottle issue. Then deal with the Title and plates, and registration change maybe...

I may sell 1-3 spare jeeps next year, we will see. One being an 89 Cherokee White 4x4 in great shape (I have 2 now), and I may finally sell my Custom Diesel 85 Cherokee, 5 speed manual, Nissan Diesel... Guessing I may be able to get a premium for them right now. The diesel does 700 miles on a tank diesel, 34 MPG. 1981 SD-22 Nissan truck drive train, transplant.

Keeping the Wagoneer and Saturn for sure. I do so little driving now, and my kids all have their vehicles and jeeps... That I do not 5 spare rigs.

Going to be super busy next few months, but may sell my shop/shop stuff this spring (to cut expenses), or crank it up and get it all back into business?

Not sure which yet.

My major consulting client is going to close after 25 years of being my gravy train income, so I will be looking for other income options...

Next year is likely to be a wild crazy one.

I still have lots of Renix Era stuff, back up spare stuff, spare doors, tail gates, a shop 1/2 full of it.. Several Wiring harnesses, odds and ends, after 15 years.

I gave away the Red 2WD 87 Jeep (No drive train, gutted, but perfect, rust free body and frame) I got from one of you in Katy Tx, in 2007(?). Gave it away to a new home about 8 weeks ago to a pipe Welder/Chem plant guy in his 50s that is thinking of dropping it on top of a 4x4 Dodge diesel rig???

I found it a good home I think. 13 years ago I was going to make a fuel cell powered electric rig out of it...

Life happens while making other plans.

What's your all's story? Plans?

:laugh3:
If anyone needs any Renix 87-90 stuff, hit me up. I still have some AW4 transmissions too that need to be torn down....(water from Harvey may have gotten in them?) They were working pulls, one needed new clutch plates/pads was all (first gear was slipping)...The rest of it was good.

Ordered a rear main seal and an oil pan gasket since those are leaking.

Need to either reseal the t-case or bite the bullet on an NP241OR. Would do an Atlas but that 5 month lead time...

Welp... I bought a 241OR.

That’s Awesome! Is it an easy swap?

More or less bolt in. May have to trim the trans mount a bit, though I'm using the SFR mount so maybe not. Gotta change the yokes to 1310's, and I went ahead and bought Novak's cable shifter as well.

Front shaft should work no problem, may need to adjust the length on the rear, but I'm gonna see how it looks when it arrives first.

i priced up all the fab parts for the 1 ton swap in my XJ, starting to look like a summer project as long an i can keep from spending too much on the ZJ.

not sure if im going to stay with the 4.0\aw4\231, vs 5.3\400\whatever Tcase combo. i am how ever going to SD60\10.5 swap and i guess you could say that is phase one. well actually phase 1 of that build is frame plating and cage. Since its a clean and straight body.

241 gets here Saturday!

More or less bolt in. May have to trim the trans mount a bit, though I'm using the SFR mount so maybe not. Gotta change the yokes to 1310's, and I went ahead and bought Novak's cable shifter as well.

Front shaft should work no problem, may need to adjust the length on the rear, but I'm gonna see how it looks when it arrives first.

I did that swap on my 99 in 2020. I used the SFR mount, too. You don't actually have to trim the mount, but rather the plate that has the exhaust hangar attached to it. It's real easy, just have to notch it a bit.

I used JB Coversions 1310 yokes. He has them especially for the 241OR.

I also used the Novak cable shifter. Honestly, that gave me the biggest trouble to get it working the way I wanted. The throw on the 241 is longer than on a 231/242. I modified the TC shifter and also the bracket that bolts to the TC. I welded on an extra support bracket to stiffin it up. It would move too much when operating the shifter. I found it didn't work as well for an XJ as it could.

I did that swap on my 99 in 2020. I used the SFR mount, too. You don't actually have to trim the mount, but rather the plate that has the exhaust hangar attached to it. It's real easy, just have to notch it a bit.

I used JB Coversions 1310 yokes. He has them especially for the 241OR.

I also used the Novak cable shifter. Honestly, that gave me the biggest trouble to get it working the way I wanted. The throw on the 241 is longer than on a 231/242. I modified the TC shifter and also the bracket that bolts to the TC. I welded on an extra support bracket to stiffin it up. It would move too much when operating the shifter. I found it didn't work as well for an XJ as it could.

Thanks for the heads up. May reach out once I get going on the install.

Case arrived today, looks like it’s in good shape. The rotator plate/shift tab is missing though. Trying to find one online has been tough so far.

That’s great, John! Looking forward to hearing more about the install. We’re you able to find it locally? Reasonably priced? I had come across a couple for sale, but they seemed a bit steep.

Back