• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 NO REVERSE OR NUETRAL

So this thread is near exactly what i am dealing with...

and was wondering if the guy that started the forum ever solved his problem...

Very rarely do I see anyone posting if it was fixed or not.
I don't know how many of these guys were actual factory trained Jeep techs like me, but they all posted valid info in some way. Yes, the linkage (outside of the tranny) could be out of adjustment. No the torque converter wouldn't cause any of those problems. If he already drained and refilled the fluid, there wouldn't be any evidence of failure left now. And yes the parking pawl is moved directly by the internal shift linkage.
This problem I've found in my 10 years experience on my fathers 2 ('90 & '99), and countless other customer vehicles, has been caused by an out of adjustment kick-down cable at the throttle body, or a binding kick-down lever on the tranny. Let's face it, the AW4 hasn't changed since it was first used in the XJ/MJ. Neither have the AX5 or AX15 manual trannys! Toyota was using it behind their V8s for crying out loud. That's why it's so bulletproof behind a relatively small 6 cyl.

BTW It's spelled NEUTRAL

i currently have the same problem. the tranny fluid was low so im putting more in later after i plow a bit.(snowstorm here).its in a mj but same thing.
its loading up in park,no reverse, but it strangely will hold itself on the downward incline on my driveway when reverse is engaged,but give it gas and it just stays locked up.
when in any of the drive gears,it feels like its starting out in second,but feels like its struggling.
ill check the kick down lever and kick down cable and post back

I have a similar problem. It has a hard shift from 1st to 2nd. I tried to adjust the cable, but the 1/2 round button wouldn't stay pushed down and I didn't hear any clicks when opening up the throttle linkage as suggested in another post.

The throttle boby cable connects the throttle to the tranny via cable. This controls how your tranny shifts. When you push the gas to the floor it causes the tranny to shift harder at higher rpm's, and just the opposite when you are light on the gas.

To adjust find the end that hooks to the throttle body. You'll notice that where the cable clips into the metal mounting bracket, there is a plastic housing that has a button that is in the shape of a half circle. Press it and push the cable into the plastic section, it should move in about 1/4" to 1/2". Now you have reset the cable and are ready to adjust it. To set the cable simply get in the drivers seat and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor (with the engine off). While you do this you should hear a series of clicks from the throttle body area, that is the cable setting itself. Thats it, give it a try. Hope this makes sense to you, it is very easy to do.

I think that is probably the problem, because there was some adjustment made, and it did change the hard shift a little bit, but I am not sure if I am doing it right, or if the adjuster 1/2 circle thing is screwed up since it won't stay pushed in and there are no clicks. Any suggestions? Is there an adjustment at the other end of the cable?

just added fluid, it was real low... no difference.
checked fuse under dash(right side, 10 amp)... good
swapped out tcu with a known workin one....no difference
left tcu unplugged... no difference
what should i check next???
i have another aw4 if worse comes to worse.
but its damn cold on the driveway.
so, any one have suggestions???
thanks!!! :banghead:

Drained fluid, dropped pan, checked linkages, nothing major in the pan, fresh fluid, unplugged tcu etc.

Back