• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black Bear / Imogene Run - Wednesday

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Black Bear / Imogene Run - Thursday

I will be getting in late Tuesday so I though I would go ahead and post up my plans for the run.

Goal: To have some fun, see some scenery, take a bunch of pictures, get back before dark.

I would like to leave the trail head by around 8:00am. That means leaving the camp by about 7:15am if you need gas, or about 7:30am if you don't. The plan is to hit Telluride for lunch. We normally do a low budget lunch by hitting the deli in the City Market for sandwiches. That way nobody has to hassle with making sandwiches or what ever if they don't want to. They have tables outside and have restrooms. I would like to get there early enough that a small amount of time can be spent in town doing the tourist crawl. I am still looking for a cool map I saw in one of the stores about 5 years ago.

After lunch we will head out on Imogene. We should pull into Ouray late afternoon. The wife and I will turn everyboy loose at Ouray to find their own way home. There is a good Mexican restaurant in Ouray, as well as a place that makes the best cookies I have ever tasted. We will most likely eat in Ouray. Sometime that afternoon/evening we will most likely head over to the public hot springs for a nice long soak before heading back to camp.

If you are using a film camera, this is about a 4-5 roll trip. If you are using a digital, take extra memory sticks. We will stop at multiple places for scenery and poser shots. If it is not taken, there is a neat rock on Imogene for pix.

Colorado has fickle weather. Make sure and bring at least a wind breaker if not a coat. Afternoon showers are common and at 12k feet, it can get pretty chilly.

On the way down, if it is early enough, some of you may want to take a side trip up to Yankee Boy Basin, but I recommend making at least a half day trip out of it, then take some time to wander around Ouray, eat, and soak.

Just as information for any flatlanders. This trail has a bad reputation and people like to make it out as scary as hell. I have led multiple groups over this loop and have not lost anybody yet :laugh3: While stock vehicles can make it, you might drag a rocker panel on one single approximately 18" ledge. If that is an issue, we can maybe stack a rock for you. Lockers are not necessary. We will help teach you the fine art of a multipoint turn on a switchback. The good thing about BlackBear is that the tightest turns, while on the side of a steep slope, have many trees below the switchback to help soothe your nerves.

I can't wait to get there. Feel free to post your comments of your experiences on these trails or to ask any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gather that the Black Bear run is on Thursday instead of Wednesday. I will get in late Tuesday so if I don't see you guys at the camp ground, I will meet you at the trail head.

Back