• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready for SCF.

Papercut

Here for the WIN!
NAXJA Member
Anyone else have a list of crap to get done before so cal fest?

I do...

Rebuild control arms
Install front frame stiffeners
Replace oil pan
Replace down pipe
Regear front axle and install

I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking of.

Let's see your list if you have one?

Change the oil in both diffs, probably including re-threading a poorly done fill plug on an aftermarket cover.

Adjust brakes and get the parking brake working properly.

Fix blankie in hatch.

Probably an oil change on my hooptie. Then load her up the eve before I travel.

Here is this weeks adventures....

1st, broken portal gear on Comanche (had to import a used one from Sweden)
2rf99g1.jpg

2nd, Do these leaf springs look okay to you...didn't think so. Also on the comanche.

241qmb4.jpg

3rd, did I mention that I have a big rod flinging around? Well not anymore, ain't it purty? This is on the white xj.
2cs98q0.jpg

25k6i5u.jpg

jze9oj.jpg

So that only leaves me with swapping the trans and tcase into the green xj, hopefully that will be next weekend.

Get Gomer back from where ever it is this week in the Southland.

Find someplace that will install an insulated headliner in a day.

Deal with Cali DMW to get registration (rather gouge out eyes with a spoon)

Find a tent (thanks Bent), sleeping bag and a place to park.

Rewire a few lights and outlets.

Change oil just because it's been three years.

Make sure most of the bolts are tight.

Buy plane tickets.

Find out why air conditioning howls like a wounded banshee.

2000 other things I've probably forgot.

David Bricker / SYR

With Cracker's help, remount the rear bumper with new frame rail tie-ins. (PO built the bumper and installed it using only the OEM bumper mounting holes.)

Install new Ox front diff cover with air actuator to replace non-functioning cable system, mount air switch, and run air (actually, CO2) lines. (The cover arrived the day before I left town and I can't wait to get back and tackle this fun little project.)

Install new-to-me used coil springs and adjust ACOS to maintain current ride height.

Several other minor and non-crucial things are on the list, but not worth mentioning.

Since I'm thinking I may stay in camp again... maybe I'll just drive the Hyundai (or the "Who died" as Google's voice-to-text likes to call it). Just kidding (I think). The Heep is running okay, but I won't be getting to the ever lengthening laundry list of things it needs / would appreciate anytime soon.

And now I need to find another 31x10.50 Falken Wildpeak since my LF one acquired a 1" sidewall tear on something near my house. So my spare's on it, and for once I'm glad I don't have a front locker.

Install gas tank skid
Tune-up
Rim for spare tire
Figure out my parking brake cables
Get the muffler re welded
I think that's it for now

Let's see my list is still pretty long.

New tires
Regear front axle
New track bar mount
And a front end alignment

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Change the oil and re-straighten the rear bumper.

I got some mysterious clunks and bonks coming from the front end, but I am rebuilding the front axle this summer and the fluid looks good so...

Got a really slow weep/leak of transmission fluid from the transfercase or transmission but after 6 months both levels are good so...

Mom says that a roll cage is mandatory now that the kids are riding in the Jeep, but no time before SoCalFest to get that done so...

So, the only thing left to do is fix the on-board-air pump, pack up and go.

Mom says that a roll cage is mandatory now that the kids are riding in the Jeep, but no time before SoCalFest to get that done so...

You wanted to check out Gomer anyway; now you can get it out with it's new cage installed. Note, I have no intention of ever using said cage for it's intended purpose.

David Bricker / SYR

So, the only thing left to do is fix the on-board-air pump, pack up and go.

Air pump had a blown fuse. That means it was too easy to fix so there is an impossible to find intermittent short that will blow the fuse again when I need it the most.

You wanted to check out Gomer anyway; now you can get it out with it's new cage installed. Note, I have no intention of ever using said cage for it's intended purpose.

David Bricker / SYR

Does Gomer still have a rear seat with seatbelts to mount Child seats?

Air pump had a blown fuse. That means it was too easy to fix so there is an impossible to find intermittent short that will blow the fuse again when I need it the most.
Put in a 100 amp fuse. You'll find the short.

Does Gomer still have a rear seat with seatbelts to mount Child seats?

Back seat still in, with seat belts. One of the requirements of the cage was to still be able to put passengers in the back. Not so easy with a two-door. Another desire was to have a bar to mount shoulder harnesses for the front seats. The back seat passengers might have to be Chinese Acrobats.

Note I haven't seen this yet. Leadfoot, the folks that are generously doing the Friday evening BBQ, wants to surprise me, and won't show me any pictures. It's driving me crazy, but I'm hopeful I will like what they've done.

David Bricker / SYR

I'm in the middle of adding hydro assist so the front end is all apart. Still have to:
- open up the cylinder and add/make limit spacers
- remount the cylinder for the upteenth time and hope I welded the brackets in the right location so nothing hits this time
- order hoses and fittings
- steering box is already tapped, installed, and verified no leaks.

Gotta make some rock sliders for the lab rat, change diff fluid in both ends, fix drivers rear axle seal.

Oh, and verify that 4x4 actually works.

Also need to figure out what's going in the raffle. Suggestions anybody?

Also need to figure out what's going in the raffle. Suggestions anybody?

Well...I could use engine and tranny mounts on the XJ. I was very impressed with the set I put on E-Man's engine. They really saved his bacon.

Last edited:
Fill fresh water tank
turn on fridge
buy food and beer

and apparently go to SFR to work on Dallas's labrat.

Back