• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWF Suggestions, Comments, Feedback

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm honestly curious to hear what everyone's thought were on NWF this year.

We had a lot of people attend this year, for some it was their first time, and others their sixth NWF event. What would you like to see happen at next years event, or changed about this years?

I'll start by saying the "activities" we had planned this year once again didn't work out. I had a few people asking when the RC comp was going to happen. I just didn't have the time myself to get any comps going or tech demos going. I'm thinking next year we could have an "activity committee" help get this stuff going after the trail runs. I know I was looking forward to seeing the Masterpull rope splice demo.

Registration kinda sorta worked, but there's still room for improvement. Thank you to those who took it upon themselves to check in and sign the waiver. Maybe next year the "welcome wagon (~ 3-4 people)" could always have one person at the registration tent helping to get people checked in. Another possibility is doing a pre event check in the days leading up to the event.

Team Challenge event seemed like it went over pretty well. Last years course was pretty simple, this year we definitely stepped up. If this was to happen next year, I think we all know what needs to happen for it to succeed. More daylight, simple instructions, idiot proofed course (no offense :D).

The last thing I have is the separation between the north and south ends. I really didn't notice this as much in years past, but this year it was pretty evident. I'm guessing this was due to more south end participants this year. Naturally you want to camp and hang out with the people your most comfortable with, but it just seemed like there was a line drawn across the campground this year. NWF is suppose to be about the chapter coming together and hanging out for a weekend. This year was much more NAXJA focused than years past, yet there was still separation amongst us.

Maybe next year we need a new location? I know in years past there's been one community fire, but those events were much smaller in size. Would you guys be willing to pay a small event fee for a private campground?

So what's on your mind?

I agree, Dustin.

Despite efforts to keep the show organized, It seemed to fall apart pretty quick. I think if we had more guys in charge of keeping things organized rather than just you, Rod, Michael and a few others it might turn out a little better.

I think we need to stick to set times, because every year it seems as though people round up for a run and before word gets around camp, the convoy is already pulling out. Maybe a megaphone or PA could come in handy for getting the word out?

As for individual fires, everyone likes to have their "home away from home" set up, but maybe if we could organize more people around a bigger central fire it would be a little easier to break the ice and pull people together from different parts of the region.

I also think next year we should have all the drivers pose for a large group shot of all the rigs and participants either in the long meadow camp, or maybe somewhere near the rocks.

That's pretty much the only constructive critisizm I have for now. Other than that this year was great!

This was the first NAXJA event that I have been to and it was alot of fun. The only thing I have to say is all the trails seemed moderate to easy. Even the ones labeled hard were more moderate than anything, and thats even when the trails were a little slick because snow stayed for so long. I know I've said this quite a bit now but I think it would be sweet if you guys came and checked out Rimrock. We can reserve a camp down by the lake that is just litterally 5 minutes from trail access, rather than taking a dusty gravel road for miles. Rimrock also has a bigger network of trails ranging from the easiest to the ridiculous. The only problem I could see is the guys that dont like to get their rig too dirty because even when you want to get up to the higher trail networks you have to go through some sort of mud depending on the snow fall that year.
If anything I would really like some of you guys to come over some time this summer and we can plan a wheeling trip. I met alot of cool people and dont think we should only get together with everyone once a year.

Kris Froehlich

I've been meaning to get to Rimrock for the last couple of years. A few thoughts come to mind when thinking about a NAXJA event up there:

* Does Rimrock have a central camping location capable of handling 100-ish trail rigs, tow rigs, trailers, and motorhomes? A large central camp is essential to any event like this.

* Are Rimrock trails XJ friendly, both from a tree-clearance perspective and the fact that only maybe half of the general NAXJA population rocks what would be considered a "hard-core" level of build? (full-cage, built/locked axles, 35"+ tires, etc)

I have a number of old-school CJ buddies who have run Rimrock for years, generally on 33"-35" tires, locked axles, and throttle-down. These are pretty light weight rigs with very experienced drivers. Would the heavier, glass-laden, variable experience level XJ crowd be at home in Rimrock?

Interested in your thoughts here.

This was my first NWFest which I attended with my brother-in-law/buddy Brian. As far as I'm concerned the NAXJA BOD did a great job organizing and executing because Brian is going to buy an XJ now. Really, how could you not after this weekend!

In all seriousness, I love the fact that we could do our own thing but also be aware of scheduled trail runs and dinner activities. I thought the level of organization was adequate. I attend meetings all week at work, it's very structured and that's not how I want my weekends.

This was my first time participating in a weekend 4x4 event. I attended NWFest for the scheduled trail runs and planned accordingly. I believe the trail runs were the primary reason most people attended and for the most part they assembled and departed on-time, GOOD JOB Michael and the respective trail leaders! For this reason alone, NWFest was a success in my opinion. Thank you TORX and anyone else who had a hand in planning and executing this event.

Upon leaving Sunday afternoon I saw several people, including myself who were policing the area for trash shortly after TORX dropped off more NAXJA trash bags, NAXJA is so awesome!!! I know some of us, including myself, can have a little too much fun in the evening but I personally saw people respecting the trails and cleaning up after themselves, what more can you ask?

I signed up to do the CB tech demo and honestly I could have taken more initiative. After 9 hours on the trail followed by food and beer in my belly, I was ready to relax a little and have no-doubt that many others felt the same. Thanks for Dinner ACRO! In hindsight, I will show more initiative next year now that I've met some people and know what to expect.

This was my first trip to Naches and I love the assortment of terrain and breathtaking scenery it has to offer. Rimrock sounds fun too but I would not hesitate to go back to Naches.

-Rich

Last edited:
I've been meaning to get to Rimrock for the last couple of years. A few thoughts come to mind when thinking about a NAXJA event up there:

* Does Rimrock have a central camping location capable of handling 100-ish trail rigs, tow rigs, trailers, and motorhomes? A large central camp is essential to any event like this.

* Are Rimrock trails XJ friendly, both from a tree-clearance perspective and the fact that only maybe half of the general NAXJA population rocks what would be considered a "hard-core" level of build? (full-cage, built/locked axles, 35"+ tires, etc)

I have a number of old-school CJ buddies who have run Rimrock for years, generally on 33"-35" tires, locked axles, and throttle-down. These are pretty light weight rigs with very experienced drivers. Would the heavier, glass-laden, variable experience level XJ crowd be at home in Rimrock?

Interested in your thoughts here.

If you take the tieton reservoir road exit that heads toward the south east side of the lake there are big open camp areas by the grass emergency air field. I believe there would be plenty of room here and that would be the 5 dollar a day fee that we are now looking at for Naches camping.

I run a jeep on 35s and an aussie in the front. I used to run 33s and could still get around. Yes, I am a little throttle happy at times but my older brother sure isnt and he is also on 35s and only locked in the front and he can handle the trails. He is also a relitively new driver. There are some tight trees but no tighter than Naches in some places. That is also on the more difficult trails. Like I said, what I like about this location is that you can easily ride on mild and easy trails. You do have to know your trails though cause some of those easy trails can immediately become ridiculous.

My dad, his friends and my younger brother drive CJs... Locked in the rear and they dont have the suspension to handle what XJs can do. I also have a friend in an older wrangler on 39" iroks, 6" leaf under, and fully locked, I out did him on a couple of climbs. Dont know why but I did. lol I think the longer wheelbase will actually help most on these trails.

Like I said, the only thing about rimrock is there are no rocks to play on, there are rock gardens though once you get higher up. And there are alot of tempting mud holes that will swallow your jeep, go around. The most difficult obstacles I have came to this year were climbs a little steeper than Aardvark Hill and about as muddy when the group with Kin and Karl went through a couple days before.

I would be more than happy to show some guys around sometime this summer, maybe in July? You can come and see what the area is like for yourself and if you dont think it is appropriate for a NAXJA event then we'll leave it at that.

As some of you know, I tend to ramble so I will try to keep this to the point:

1. I am pretty sure this is my 7th NW Fest (Howard and Hans can double check my math).

2. I think this event came across more organized and better run than the last few years. It seemed to me more people knew what trails they were going on and with what trail leader.

3. Yes there is "seperation" in the group, there will be with a group this size unless they are "forced" into specific activities that continually keep them mingleing. Useing a single group camp site might help with this as well as the structure of a check in tent, trail runs leaving on time, and a single campfire? I think it is worth considering at a minimum. I also believe the required membership was a good think to help with this also.

4. The Thursday night festivities pissed off a bunch of neighbors and NAXJA members. It was WAY too late and loud. This is again one of the things that affects how we are perceived as a community (there is no wonder why many people litterally hate "jeepers"). Friday and Saturday seemed to be much better than years passed.

5. Sack Tag and Beer Bongs. I didn't see this in person. But these are the types of reasons many people do not attend this event. I am appauled that there are people in this group that believe that this is acceptable.

Michael

As some of you know, I tend to ramble so I will try to keep this to the point:

4. The Thursday night festivities pissed off a bunch of neighbors and NAXJA members. It was WAY too late and loud. This is again one of the things that affects how we are perceived as a community (there is no wonder why many people litterally hate "jeepers"). Friday and Saturday seemed to be much better than years passed.

i want to apologize to anyone that may have been upset Thurs night. we did get pretty loud at my campsite. Sorry

i want to apologize to anyone that may have been upset Thurs night. we did get pretty loud at my campsite. Sorry
I was only furious for about 10 minutes...
Then you got TOLD:shocked:. and i laughed...and fell back asleep:confused1

I personally look back and think everything actually went pretty well, It did feel divided, But i didn't sense any kind of Hostility or Hatred between one side to the other.. As mentioned, You're going to automatically setup camp with people you have met before.. This is the exact reason why i have been wanting to do a North end run with some guys up there, Every north end guy i have met so far has treated me with the utmost respect and i would wheel with them in a heartbeat. I simply think the "divide" between us was the lack of north to south, and south to north, type of wheeling trips. expensive? yes. But it really brings the group together when your able to put faces to screen names..

I personally loved the Little naches area, I got home and told the wife flat out, I will be BACK up there some time this summer. I question the size of our group, and fitting it all into a place like TSF. Never been anywhere else, so far Naches seems to be the largest. and while its far for everyone, it is only an Annual event and worth the drive.

I also agree we need to have better communication for trail runs, I was thinking a large billboard (cough cough.. John's trailer) with Posted trail INFO. And meeting/leaving times

A community fire sounds great! but i'll still have mine because im not a heavy drinker..Im not a rowdy person, and after a certain point i like to sit back and enjoy peace and quiet.

Last edited:
Overall it was a great event this year!

Only complaint is there are tons of people there and trying to find the "trail leader" is damn near impossible if you dont facebook stalk to know who is who. A megaphone to announce the trail meetings is 100% needed IMO because very few people had name tags. It would make it way easier to find what run is where and when they are meeting since times never are totally accurate.

I also agree we need to have better communication for trail runs, I was thinking a large billboard (cough cough.. John's trailer) with Posted trail INFO. And meeting/leaving times.

So the registration tent with printed schedules was to small of print for you to read ?

icon10.gif

I also think next year we should have all the drivers pose for a large group shot of all the rigs and participants either in the long meadow camp, or maybe somewhere near the rocks.
I really wanted to do this at this years event, but organizing that many people and vehicles is going to take a lot of work. It's definitely something to consider for next year.

If anything I would really like some of you guys to come over some time this summer and we can plan a wheeling trip. I met alot of cool people and dont think we should only get together with everyone once a year.

Kris Froehlich
X2! One big event a year just isn't enough. I hope to see a lot more runs happening to give people a chance to get out and wheel.

My summers filling up pretty quick, but Rimrock is on my list to check out.

Upon leaving Sunday afternoon I saw several people, including myself who were policing the area for trash shortly after TORX dropped off more NAXJA trash bags, NAXJA is so awesome!!! I know some of us, including myself, can have a little too much fun in the evening but I personally saw people respecting the trails and cleaning up after themselves, what more can you ask?

I signed up to do the CB tech demo and honestly I could have taken more initiative. After 9 hours on the trail followed by food and beer in my belly, I was ready to relax a little and have no-doubt that many others felt the same.

-Rich
I was very pleased to see everyone putting the NAXJA bags to good use. They are reusable so keep them in the Jeep for the next time.

I pretty much felt the same way after getting back from the trail. Maybe next year those interested in a tech demo or activity can schedule a definitive time it will take place.

3. Using a single group camp site might help with this as well as the structure of a check in tent, trail runs leaving on time, and a single campfire? I think it is worth considering at a minimum. I also believe the required membership was a good think to help with this also.

Michael
If we were to do a private campground I think the event would inevitably be much smaller and more organized. That's not a bad thing, and I think it's worth checking into. I also think the members only stipulation worked out really well this year. The whole event felt much more NAXJA focused.

I question the size of our group, and fitting it all into a place like TSF. Never been anywhere else, so far Naches seems to be the largest. and while its far for everyone, it is only an Annual event and worth the drive.

I really question how suitable TSF would be for this event as well. If it was to happen I think we would be pushing the line on whether we would need a permit or not (ideally we needed one for Noobfest too). Another thing to think about is a suitable campground that can accommodate that many people and vehicles. Would the CRAWL trailer even fit in Browns Camp?

X2. I wanted to apologize to our nearby Naxja neighbors (like Scott, Michael, and a few others) and the folks that were camped behind us before we arrived. There is a time and place for shenanigans and Thursday night in a central campsite was a bad call.

X2. I wanted to apologize to our nearby Naxja neighbors (like Scott, Michael, and a few others) and the folks that were camped behind us before we arrived. There is a time and place for shenanigans and Thursday night in a central campsite was a bad call.
I seriously anticipated friday to be 10x worse. and since i couldnt stop it from happening, i went to whistling jacks and bought $60 in 6 packs for me and my guest. I was not going to be miserable. being sober and listening to "Johny pockets" was gHey.. I planned to just join ya!:shhh: Then friday you guys were quiet!:dunno:

I seriously anticipated friday to be 10x worse. and since i couldnt stop it from happening, i went to whistling jacks and bought $60 in 6 packs for me and my guest. I was not going to be miserable. being sober and listening to "Johny pockets" was gHey.. I planned to just join ya!:shhh: Then friday you guys were quiet!:dunno:

So are you saying I owe you $60 or a good time? :laugh3: LOL

:cheers:

Not gonna happen Scott!

I think a change of location might be something to think about. Somewhere with one big camping area that doesn't divide the camp. We also need a good varying level of trails, we can't expect people to just ride along because they don't have a "built" rig. This might require some feasibility studies(runs) to determine a new location and we could end up back at Naches after doing numerous feasibility studies.

I think a change of location might be something to think about. Somewhere with one big camping area that doesn't divide the camp. We also need a good varying level of trails, we can't expect people to just ride along because they don't have a "built" rig. This might require some feasibility studies(runs) to determine a new location and we could end up back at Naches after doing numerous feasibility studies.
Naxja NWF trail research Crew.. Sounds good to me:rtm:

i need 35s:flamemad:

Back