• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weather Predictions? Trail Conditions?

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I think it's fair to say the weather this year is throwing us some curve balls. We got gypped on a good snow fall early in the year. Had a decent snow fall at the end of April, and now we've been having record rainfall for June. With all the rain we've been having I'm sure the shallow puddles of last year have grown quite a bit.

I know we haven't had rain at a NWF event for at least the last four years, maybe ever. Anyone think we may get some this year? If it was to rain, the difficulty of the trails would change completely.

We had a good snowfall in late April. Does anyone think we may hit snow at the higher elevations?

Either way I would recommend packing a rain jacket, some cold weather gear (hat, gloves, jacket) for the mornings and nights, and maybe an extra tarp or two just in case.

I was just talking to John about this tonight. I was thinking there are going to be alot the the higher trails still under snow. Think how many were last year even with the normal warm weather.

as long as we avoid rain. I'm happy.

Snow.. would personally put a smile on my face. even tho it would be frozen dirty slush

as long as we avoid rain. I'm happy.

Snow.. would personally put a smile on my face. even tho it would be frozen dirty slush

I love snow. But the snow that we might see at the ridge would be basically un-passable for a group and could put a huge damper on some of the trails.

It should also be made clear to the group that if you do decide to continue through some snowy sections you have to be VERY careful to protect the trails and conditions. It is VERY important that each of the trail leaders understands this well and is equiped to deal with this and making an appropriate decision based on the trail conditions.

Having said this, MANY of these trails are a totally different beast in the wet or snow than they are in the typical dry weather we have had the last few years :yelclap:

Michael

We've hit snow the last two years.

In 08' we hit some major drifts on String trail I believe.
Picture085Large.jpg

Last year, even with the huge snow pack, most had melted off by NWF. There was a little remaining on the West side of 410.
IMG_0052.jpg

I think this year between the late snow fall we had in April, and the moderate temps we've been having lately, we're guaranteed to hit snow. Question is how much?

I love snow. But the snow that we might see at the ridge would be basically un-passable for a group and could put a huge damper on some of the trails.

It should also be made clear to the group that if you do decide to continue through some snowy sections you have to be VERY careful to protect the trails and conditions. It is VERY important that each of the trail leaders understands this well and is equiped to deal with this and making an appropriate decision based on the trail conditions.

Having said this, MANY of these trails are a totally different beast in the wet or snow than they are in the typical dry weather we have had the last few years :yelclap:

Michael

Where's the video of you on the hill with the brand new tires going backwards?

Tuesday

Jun 22
30.gif
Partly Cloudy
Hi:77°Lo:50°
Partly Cloudy. High 77F and low 50F. Winds NW at 6 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
0%Wednesday

Jun 23
11.gif
Showers
Hi:70°Lo:55°
Showers. High 70F and low 55F. Winds NW at 8 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
20%Thursday

Jun 24
28.gif
Mostly Cloudy
Hi:74°Lo:57°
Mostly Cloudy. High 74F and low 57F. Winds W at 5 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
0%Friday

Jun 25
28.gif
Mostly Cloudy
Hi:76°Lo:56°
Mostly Cloudy. High 76F and low 56F. Winds W at 5 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
0%Saturday

Jun 26
32.gif
Sunny (Clear)
Hi:81°Lo:68°
Sunny. High 81F and low 68F. Winds S at 4 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA

DSCF9489.jpg

Hopefully it's warmed up and lots of that is gone!

Oh man...I really hope the rocks are dry.

And if its like this in the trees...I really need to get my rocker replacements done.

~Scott

Some guys went up a week ago and yes there was still snow on the rocks. Aolt of it had melted off compared to a trip in may though. Its been decently warm, my guess is sloppy trails but no snow. Maybe higher up though.

Rod, where did you get the forecast from?

Here's what NOAA is predicting for Cliffdell, WA.
Tuesday: A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 71.

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 45.

Wednesday: A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 64.

Wednesday Night: A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.

Thursday: A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 64.

I'm up for a snow run.

Thursday 78 and partly cloudy
Friday 80 and clear

If only the weather at home was nice too...it would make getting ready for NWFest weather that much easier.

~Scott

Few guys from insanityfab.com went up saturday. From the pics it looks like the rocks are mostly dry, still some snow hiding in the shade of the deeper valleys.

Back