• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The first fall fling, anyone remember it?

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anyone still here that remembers the first fall fling and what the format of the week was?

It was the first event that I took my son to when he was 10 years old...

The FIRST formal Fall Fling was in Telluride, Colorado back in Jul/Aug 1999.
We all stayed in a Campground outside of Ouray and spent the week doing a lot of trails in higher elevations in Silverton, Telluride, Ouray and Oak City....
Lots of SNOW up there... along with quite a few water crossings....

After the event was over... I stopped off in Moab for several days....

Almost all the members that attended that event no longer post....

Last edited:
I remember the first Moab Fall Fling, I organized it. We had a get acquainted hamburger feed on Wed evening at Slickrock, kept it simple. Did registration, gave out shirts, sold raffle tickets. Sat night we did a dinner and raffle also at Slickrock. Other than that we ran trails. The official event was Wed to Sun, the only organized run on Sun was up Moab Rim, which for a number of years became the traditional Sun run. Any runs on Mon and Tues, for those who were there the whole week, were informal and organized by those who were there...folks just ran what they wanted.

The event was focused around the weekend, though plenty were there for the whole week. Quite a few people came in on Thurs and Friday nights and ran the weekend. We had 42 rigs/families signed up that year.

Actually, I think the CO event was called Forum Fest. Moab was called the Fall Fling. Other than the two anniversary events, they have stayed close to the same size. The first Fall Fling had 42 rigs, it's been 40-50 ever since other than the two big ones.

It was a lot of fun back then because we were all getting to know each other at first, and meeting people we'd been interacting online. Plus many of us had never been to Moab. Good times.

Our first official ColoradoFest was in Ouray/Ridgeway then on to Buena Vista. Very loosely orchestrated but one heck of a lot of fun. We had probably about 35% almost totally stockers and a ton of first time offroaders. It was really fun to see them stretch their legs. Some of them got pretty wobbly on Black Bear and Imogene.

Met a lot members for the first time at that event... such as Mil Thornton, Steve Ward, Tom from Utah, Fred, Scot Mac, Keith and Shelley Orr and many others whom I can not remember their names....

I'm still here, but don't post much.

A group of us from the XJ Forum arranged a Moab get-together in 1998 where the idea of NAXJA was born. '99 was the first official NAXJA Forum Fest (base camp in Ouray, CO) and '00 was the first offical NAXJA Fall Fling in Moab.

We certainly had a good time at the Colorado event.... The Ouray and Telluride areas have alot of trails to explore.... plus some really beautiful scenery.... Good memories....

I'm still here, but don't post much.

A group of us from the XJ Forum arranged a Moab get-together in 1998 where the idea of NAXJA was born. '99 was the first official NAXJA Forum Fest (base camp in Ouray, CO) and '00 was the first offical NAXJA Fall Fling in Moab.

'99 that's the year you broke your clutch cable right?
278092663_B8ARc-M.jpg

'00 The year Turner got my plate...just before this picture was taken.
278093778_XvN5C-M.jpg

'99 that's the year you broke your clutch cable right?
The clutch pedal rod broke while on Metal Masher. Speed-shifted into town and had it welded up. If I'm not mistaken, that occurred in the Spring of '99. My XJ developed brake issues in Colorado and Bones strapped his rig to mine and helped me down from the mountain top. I think we were around 13,000+ feet, so it was a long drive down.

Actually, I think the CO event was called Forum Fest. Moab was called the Fall Fling.

Charles is showing his age. LOL

Wow strolling down memory lane.

Here's a couple of guys back when they drove "real" XJ's, LOL. Richard and Paul.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Bones in Mickey's Hot Tub.

standard.jpg

Mil showing off on Hell's Gate.

standard.jpg

Mike G.

standard.jpg

Jeff V.

standard.jpg

Charles.

standard.jpg

Rags on the Golden Crack.

standard.jpg

Me on Gold Bar Rim.

standard.jpg

Hagen posing with Jeff's rig.

standard.jpg

Hinkley.

standard.jpg

Ray P.

standard.jpg

Bob L.

standard.jpg

More here. http://www.fototime.com/inv/FDC82C58CFE9281

Last edited:
As far as I know... he always lived in Germany and taught Off Roading classes there....
He would fly in to visit relatives and friends in Colorado IIRC.

The first time I met Hagen was in Colorado during the Forum Fest of '99.

Back